Camouflage

T

tansed

Hi All

im back again for some more answers to some questions i have haha

ok here we go i have never done a model that had camouflage scheme

on it, im doing a side project while doing my apache also and its a revell 1/71 spitfire i just wanted to know whats the best camouflage method to use im a bit nervous of doing this as i have never done it before so much help would be greatful cheers again!!!:smiling:

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Tansed and Edd,

There are several methods of creating great looking camo on aircraft. Hard Masking, soft masking and free hand spraying are all methods that can be used. i have found that it is alot easier just to point people to this link Basic Camouflage Techniques

than to try to explain it all myself.

I found that link on this site: Scale Modeling Links . There is tons of information on this site and there is even a section for tips and techniques which is where I found the first link above.

Now I am not trying to prevent anyone else from trying to explain how to camo here in the forum, but I have just found that this is the easiest way to teach the techniques.

Have a good day and i hope this helps both of you. Be sure to look around that site for other useful stuff concerning modelling then come back here and share what you learn :smiling3: Oh and bring photos...tons of photos lol

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good links there. A 1/72 Spitfires camouflage would appear hard edged as there was only very slight (and regulated) feathering on the full size machine. If you don't fancy trying to cut paper masks for the rather complex curves of British camouflage I'd try using good old Blu-Tac. Here's what I do,main colours,not wheel wells,canopies etc.

1 Spray undersides (for you that will be Sky or Medium Sea Grey, unless you are doing a very early one)

2 Mask undersides

3 Spray upper surface in lighter of two colours ( for you that will be Dark Earth or Ocean Grey)

4 The fun bit! roll out some skinny sausages of Blu-Tac and lay it on the wings and fuselage following the demarcation lines of the camouflage scheme. You can move them and fiddle as much as you like until you reckon you've got it about right. You can press them down on the surface, as for a hard edge you are not looking to "space" your masks from the surface. Do remember that the area under the Blu-Tac will become part of the DE or OG area.

5 Mask inbetween the sausages,with bits of masking tape, the area that you want to keep DE or OG.

6 Spray your second colour ( this will be Dark Green in both cases). Don't worry about keeping at 90 degrees to the masks as you want a hard edge. Don't spray to much into the edge of the mask or the paint will build up and give a ridge which will be a b##ger to get rid of.

6 The denouement. After a suitable wait (depending what sort of paint you use) remove masking and Blu-Tac to reveal perfect camouflage.

It really isn't very difficult.

Good Luck.

Steve

Top Tip: Wash your hands before using the Blu-Tac.This will prevent it leaving a slightly darker residue on the demarcation line. Some people intentionally allow this "darkening" as they think they can discern this area on the originals. Me, I am enjoying myself on this fence!