Can Anyone Tell Me Where These Came From

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi chaps

The wife got me cleaning and well I thought where best to clean than the man cave.

Anyways clearing out a box of oddities I found this I don't think they are live ( I think I got it from an old car boot sale years ago

I'm not sure what they are i.e calibre or type of round/ belt feed etc, so I thought I'd throw it out to you chaps. Tried to put a Vallejo bottle for scale of size

Yes I know it's a bullet before the smart Alec's come out of the woodwork.

Thanks

Robert

Rober image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
They're spent 7.62mm linked rounds.
Thanks

So would they be fired from any gun like a GPMG/ SLR or similar or even later and just put in the links?

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
eeeee...had lots of fun putting belts of that through gimpys

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
Thanks
So would they be fired from any gun like a GPMG/ SLR or similar or even later and just put in the links?
more than likely since you have at least 2 different manufacturing dates that i can see

RG means Radway Green.....the manufactuer.....the 07 or 01 is the year of manufacture.......they must have collected fired cases and links, then inserted new bullets and assembled the links............and by those dates it would have been gimpys since SLR have been long out of use

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Thanks
Most likely GPMG or even M60, it depends where they came from. Chinooks were fitted with a door mounted M60 in Northern Ireland. I'm sure that some sniper rifles used this calibrate of ammunition too, someone better informed will have the answer I'm sure.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
more than likely since you have at least 2 different manufacturing dates that i can see
RG means Radway Green.....the manufactuer.....the 07 or 01 is the year of manufacture.......they must have collected fired cases and links, then inserted new bullets and assembled the links............and by those dates it would have been gimpys since SLR have been long out of use
Thanks Paul ( it's nice to know that somethings can be re used)

So you fired this Gimpy ( hope not in anger

S

Stevekir

\ said:
They're spent 7.62mm linked rounds.
Spent? They have bullets in them! Me, I'd call the army if I found anything like that.

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Looks lie the projectiles were put in after they were fired as evidenced by the indented primers.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
Spent? They have bullets in them! Me, I'd call the army if I found anything like that.
definatly inert....primer has a mark where the fiirng pin hit them, you can buy this sort of thing from hundreds of places

D

demon

They sell these at Bebington tank museum shop at silly prices

P

Piakio

They are rebuilt, you can see the mark of the striker at the base of the cartridge, a pressure point inward.

And if it seem 30 or 7.62mm NATO caliber used in personal weapons (substituted by at least 5.56mm NATO and USA) and mounted weapons such as M60 and L2A2. Anyway be careful with them ...o_O Greetings ;)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The number on the head stamp beginning with L gives more information about the cartridge. The only one I can read is L42A3 which indicates a cartridge using a Swiss propellant. The cap was also made in Switzerland by RUAG. Earlier rounds had percussion caps manufactured at the ROF Chorley, but production ceased at a date I don't know, obviously before this round was manufactured (2007). I didn't know that the MOD purchased this round, it may have come from abroad.

You'll probably find some "Round 7.62mm Ball L11A1" as the MOD ordered 10 million of these from Raufoss in Norway in 1967!

"Round 7.62mm Ball L44A1" is the current operational ball round.

Between 1976 and 1994 Radway Green adopted a universal case without any "L" designation that could be used for both ball and tracer.

There were/are some ammunition purchased by the MOD from other European and other manufacturers which were not allocated an L number. You might find something like "Round 7.62mm Ball M.80" which was manufactured in India (OFV-Ordnance Factory Varangaon, I think near Calcutta).

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Slightly off on a tangent, I did some 18 months 'work' with the Army during the late '70s. To relieve the boredom between jobs, I collected the empty cases and flattened the ends in a vice. Then I filed the flattened ends into chessmen.....I still have the complete set now - somewhere in the loft!

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Slightly off on a tangent, I did some 18 months 'work' with the Army during the late '70s. To relieve the boredom between jobs, I collected the empty cases and flattened the ends in a vice. Then I filed the flat copper ends into chessmen.....I still have the complete set now - somewhere in the loft!
Now that's what I call recycling and making something interesting ( good dinner conversation topic )

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
There was a bit of a kick from these when used in an SLR, I was on one of the last guard details at RAF Halton to be issued SLR's for armed guard duty in 1992. Every now and again in NI a box of linked 7.62 would be "forgotten" by the crewman after a sortie and left on board a Puma or Chinook - sometimes with a matching jimpy or M60, this usually made its way into somebody's locker until the red faced and panicking crewman came looking for it....a crate of beer usually generated enough enthusiasm to "find" it for him.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Slightly off on a tangent, I did some 18 months 'work' with the Army during the late '70s. To relieve the boredom between jobs, I collected the empty cases and flattened the ends in a vice. Then I filed the flattened ends into chessmen.....I still have the complete set now - somewhere in the loft!
Blimey! Whatever happened to 'I have no live rounds or empty cases in my possession Sir/Sergeant". I still remember that from CCF days!

I did some work for the tercentennary of a famous, then soon to be amalgamated, County Regiment a few years ago and the soldiers were keen to sell me just about anything they could. I declined the generator on the grounds that being camouflaged and full of pink diesel I might struggle to explain what I was doing with it and the Warrior on the grounds that I didn't know how to drive it! Not all the potential sales were in jest, though the Warrior, the rifles and ammunition were ....I think :smiling3:

I hope Major Ian (do you stand on one leg and play the flute?) Anderson and Captain Evelyne (you couldn't make it up) Bufton-Morriss don't read this.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, luckily at the time I was working with, rather than in the Army, so I was not subject to too much discipline. I still had to keep on my toes though! ;)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Steve, luckily at the time I was working with, rather than in the Army,
Me too with the Gloucesters. For some inexplicable reason the soldiers seemed to prefer working with me, resulting in much hilarity when the RSM, who would only ever address me as 'civilian contractor' had to ask me for some of his men back... on several occasions :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve