Cannopy glue

First Name
Alex
I've come accross a problem i've never had before with cannopies and clear parts. Usually i get away by using extra tacky PVA glue as it dries clear and once dry is fairly strong, but it does take a very long time to dry.

As most of you probaby know, using plastic cement or super glue is out of the question because of the vapours they give off which act as an abbrasive on the plastic and fog it up.

My problem is, due to the design of the windscreen on a UH60 Transport helicopter i'm building and the very difficult tight fit, i need a glue that dries very quickly. The control console pushes against the windscreen and pushes the screen out slightly, i don't think PVA is going to work in this case. The screen would fit properly if i had a strong enough glue to apply to all the contact points.

Do you know of any kind of super glue which is cannopy friendly? or should i just clamp it and pray

T

Tony

Trying searching for Formula 560 Cannopy Glue - PT56

Its available in the UK but not sure if its permissible to post shop links on here.

pt-56.jpg

FORMULA 560 CANOPY GLUE PT-56

• WORLDS BEST CANOPY GLUE

• EXCELLENT FOR ANY CLEAR PLASTIC

• CLEAR AND FAST DRYING

• DRIES FLEXIBLE

• NON-TOXICWATER CLEAN UP

The world's best canopy glue. 560 dries clear making it the perfect glue to use for attaching airplane canopies and vacuum formed ABS parts. The excellent shock resistant flexible bond means your airplane parts will stay put even when subject to high vibration and extreme speeds. 560 is also an excellent craft glue. The nontoxic and water based formula means kids can safely use it for their special projects.

Works Best On:

• Foam
  • Most Plastics
  • Plaster
  • Vinyl
  • Wood
  • Canopy
  • Canvas
  • Clay
  • Cloth
  • Fabric

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
or dip your canopy in Humbrol Clear and then use a tiny amount of CA to attach

its worked for me in the past as it puts up a 'barrier' to stop the CA fumes fogging the clear plastic but please dont blame me if it goes wrong

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The control console pushes against the windscreen and pushes the screen out slightly
How about correcting the fit issue ? Maybe a bit of careful sanding here and there then use your normal glue.

First Name
Dave
Trying searching for Formula 560 Cannopy Glue - PT56

Its available in the UK but not sure if its permissible to post shop links on here.

pt-56.jpg

FORMULA 560 CANOPY GLUE PT-56

• WORLDS BEST CANOPY GLUE

• EXCELLENT FOR ANY CLEAR PLASTIC

• CLEAR AND FAST DRYING

• DRIES FLEXIBLE

• NON-TOXICWATER CLEAN UP

The world's best canopy glue. 560 dries clear making it the perfect glue to use for attaching airplane canopies and vacuum formed ABS parts. The excellent shock resistant flexible bond means your airplane parts will stay put even when subject to high vibration and extreme speeds. 560 is also an excellent craft glue. The nontoxic and water based formula means kids can safely use it for their special projects.

Works Best On:

• Foam
  • Most Plastics
  • Plaster
  • Vinyl
  • Wood
  • Canopy
  • Canvas
  • Clay
  • Cloth
  • Fabric
I use this stuff. Its another white glue. And although its very good, it doesnt dry quickly like CA. If i need an instant bond (like my recent F4E Phantom) i use CA. But i dip the canopy in Kleer floor polish first to protect it from the CA fumes.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I would suggest not using c.a. at all as its a bit risky due to the fumes. Mostly because canopy dipping can be a bit hit or miss. It is not easy to get the perfect finish whatever you use to dip it in.

You can use extra thin cements if you apply it with considerable care. At least if there is a decent amount of canopy framing on the clear part. I use Gunze Mr S Cement. Apply it sparingly to the join with the brush and let capillary action do the rest. It is not the fumes from this that are the problem, it is getting the cement on the area that needs to be clear that can spoil it. Most of the time though it is best to use something like the Formula 560 or Gator Glue that does not affect the clear part.

B

Builder

Use Bob Smith Industries Super-Gold+. A super glue designed specifically for Clear plastic.

See in the video below at 3:09 he uses it on the windscreen. This channel has many videos in which he uses this glue. Best fast drying glue for canopies.

Here is the official website description

Super-Gold+™ is foam-safe, odorless super glue. Super glues can produce fumes that can be irritating to the eyes and nose. While not toxic, some people can become sensitized to these fumes. Super-Gold+™ is BSI’s odorless form of Cyanoacrylate that gives the same high performance characteristics as BSI’s Insta-Cure+ without the irritating fumes. Super-Gold+ will not fog clear plastic and glass, which can occur with the use of standard Cyanoacrylates. It can also be used on all foams. The cost may be higher, but the added benefits make Super-Gold+ the best quality adhesive for the consumer

First Name
Alex
@Builder now that is what i'm talking about. I just bought some of the Formula 560 cannopy glue as previously mentioned but, now you tell me about this one I think i'm going to have to try Super Gold out too. I would never have found this had i not asked the question on here.

B

Builder

@Builder now that is what i'm talking about. I just bought some of the Formula 560 cannopy glue as previously mentioned but, now you tell me about this one I think i'm going to have to try Super Gold out too. I would never have found this had i not asked the question on here.

Your welcome Alex mate.

First Name
Alex
This is just a quick update to say i have tried both the Bob Smith Industries Super Gold + and the Formula 560 and the Super-Gold + is a clear winner for me (pun intended) The Super-Gold + is a gap filling adhesive which really does dry clear in 20 seconds. I've found it useful for filling in very small gaps too and once completely dry it sands down well. It's expensive at around £9 for 1/2 ounce but I think I will be using this one a lot now. I highly recommend it

Last edited:
First Name
Alex
It doesnt seem to be stocked in many places. Mainly down to thd fact its manufactured in the USA. I got mine from ebay from a UK seller

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Ah but what about bob smith industries super gold +? Thats the one im refering to. It dries a lot quicker than formula 560

Sorry just say the 360, I will contact them see how much it will cost to get over here

First Name
Alex

I would say considering you would only use it for clear parts it would last a while. I think the price reflects the fact its made in the USA so there's import duty. I think for you to sell it it would probably be one of the most expensive adhesives you have to offer. Mine cost just under £9 which is pricey so not much room for profit your end unless you buy a few boxes of it

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I would say considering you would only use it for clear parts it would last a while. I think the price reflects the fact its made in the USA so there's import duty. I think for you to sell it it would probably be one of the most expensive adhesives you have to offer. Mine cost just under £9 which is pricey so not much room for profit your end unless you buy a few boxes of it

What size was that for? The 1/2oz is £7.50 and the 1oz £13.50