cannot get detail into this figure

M

minisurfer

i have picked this model up so many times and failed only to strip it down and start again im giving up and putting me off doing model due to fine detail.

I have primed the model white, base coated it yellow and trying to get the black detail in the shadows .

The model is a Gigantic Guyver, i have tried washes without success and even hand painted the detail/shadows but cannot grasp it. Any points or links that can help me get at least one part done.

20160801_110103_1470047795357.jpg

20160801_110134_1470047795535.jpg

20160801_110159_1470047795649.jpg

20160801_110210_1470047825152.jpg

20160801_110540_1470047825009.jpg

J

John Rixon

Starting with a good gloss surface is half the battle won. If you give it a few coats of Humbrol Clear, or Klear etc, then the washes should flow in the little crevices and creases. Also use oil based washes as they tend to flow far better than acrylic ones. 

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I think you are going to have to do the wash, then go over it again, "dry brush style" to highlight the raised areas with the correct colours fading to white where required - very much how they do it with the whammy figures.

That is one way, as John stated: "Starting with a good gloss surface is half the battle won " is definitely another way.

What ever suites your style.

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
do agree with Johns way,as a starter,and if it was me I would be trying or using a few methods on this one,

using a wash to give me the out lay of the lines to follow,then coming back over with a 0/5 and upwards brush,depending on the lines you have, 9_9

yellow is a hard color to work with,as it will show,any little slip,and hard to remove the stain of the black,so have some cotton tips on hand and just go slow,and wipe off any

over slips as you go,I will,use a dark gray/black,first then come in with a black wash when happy how your line,work looks,maybe need to do a few times, O.o

and I would be starting with the highs of the yellow first,one way would be as ,Gavin,has said,

I would be AB,with two shades lighter than you have,or say molting on him,before starting the line work,start with a few shades lighter on the raised points,before

using you lightest shade at the end,by staying from above ,as it should only hit the highest points ,and then if still not,showing use some dry brushing, 9_9

hope this is of some help,just the way I would tackle him,

M

minisurfer

Thank you all for your help . I will try coating it with gloss then apply a wash but i might try a brown/black wash first just to see how it works. 

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
will be interested in seeing how that turns out,as black is such a harsh color,

but its a necessity evil ,I find,when looking at some thing,you just don't,get that separation of parts and deep shadow line, 9_9

M

minisurfer

if it was your project instead of black wash what would you use.

here of how the model should look when finished.

I think would it of been better with a black basecoat and worked up from that. but the damage is done now.fig.jpeg

mod.jpg

J

John Rixon

Nothing is permanent! You can strip back the paint if you want, or sparky another coat of yellow, then try again following one or more tips you've been given!

First Name
Mike
here of how the model should look when finished.

View attachment 259824

Looking at that lower image (the top pic looks like a more detailed, regular plastic kit), I'd say the builder airbrushed darker yellow/orange/brown shadows, and then used black paint and a fine brush to carefully paint in the sharp, black details. It doesn't look to me like he/she has used a wash to achieve those black highlights, except maybe in the textured areas around the groin and under the arms. Just my opinion FWIW.

Last edited by a moderator: