Car S.O.S. two Pocher 1/8s

T

Triumph

Heck of a lot pics people

They have been in the loft for what must be 30+ years, well maybe not the Ferrari as long and although wrapped up they still suffered. So why in the loft? Yes they were pride of place on a wall unit for a while after I built them, but sorry to say I got a bit disheartened when I kept being told by the wife that Ooh a bit has broken off when I was trying to clean the shelves, even when I said 'I' would look after it 
mad.png
 With no other space big enough for them I put them in the loft. Now my daughter has grown up and set up home I have me a spare room 
smile.png
 With space now for my models I got them out from the loft. Was shocked to see they suffered as much as they did, so set about a massive clean up. So a clean up and polish of the metal work and with modern CA glue I can do a good repair job on the bits that have been knocked off. Here are the results of a weeks work.

Ferrari Testarossa 

just like cleaning a real thing, first wash and shampoo, dry then polish with car polish.  Refitted the wing mirrors by drilling a small hole in both mirrors glue in a pin then cut to fit then a small hole in the doors quarter lights. Think she's come up very well and ready to go on display. :D

Mercedes Benz 500 K-AK

Took a bit of time to bring her up to spec. She's suffered a bit but I should have put a stop to that now. After 30 years in the loft decals, glue that's dried out and cloth needed sorting as well as the bright work to restore, it seem as soon as I touched something it came apart. Have to say I forgot how detailed nah make that complicated a model this is, all I can remember about it was it took me over a year to build. To make one wheel took a month and there's six. Doors open with the lever, windows can wind up/down, rear brakes work if you press the brake pedal, crank and pistons turn and run up and down, seats are padded and sprung with springs and you can put the top up, but I left it alone for fear of more bits coming undone. It's not 100% because of what age has done, there's a little 'rusting' going on underneath but I quite like that so I treated it and left it as is. It's certainly good enough again to be displayed :smiling3:

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well they cleaned up rather well. I do like the Merc.

D

dougie

I really want to see the pics but the rig Internet is no good. Will have to try and mind to look at the end of my hitch

First Name
Gwyn
Great models that should definitely be on display. 

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
LOFT! Glad you got these down and cleaned, they are amazing and deserve a place in the house. Great work on the re-clean.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Sweet mama! O.o B|

They are beautiful, especially the Merc!! :x :x

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
They have clean up well. I do like the merc.

B

Builder

Stunning cars there Peter. Absolutely stunning. Love the interior, engine and underside of the Merc. 

T

Triumph

Thanks people, the story behind the Mercedes-Benz 500K/AK is that it's in what was called the 'classic' range by Pocher and contained 2,378 part's. These kits were based on original plans from the manufacturer. Features present on this model are spoked wire wheels that were assembled spoke by spoke, and the engine with working crankshaft and piston assemblies and a working brake system. Doors open with the lever, windows can wind up/down.  With a battery under the rear seat, you put a 'key' in the dashboard and the front headlights came on. Assembly was mostly accomplished with threaded fasteners (screws, bolts, nuts) and very little glue. Then the 'fun' began with the interior building the seats that are made with leather over a frame with foam and springs, and the soft roof which also works required sewing skills that I never knew I had   As stated I built this over 30 years ago and took well over a year to do so working on it most evenings and weekends a few hours a time. TBH with these old eyes and hands now, I don't know if I could build it again.

Peter

At the Hornby Visitor Centre by the same model (never got round to doing the white walled tyres)

and you can just see the Ferrari in the background

Last edited: