Carley Floats

S

standby1st

Can anyone help with the colour of Carley Floats (WW2 Coastal Forces)? I suspect a yellow/buff colour but working from B&W photos leaves it open to guesswork. Also, can anyone point me in the direction of web info on Carley Floats generally? Searches so far bring up very little info. Thanks

Since writing the above I've found out that the colour was grey. High-vis safety gear was evidently less important than keeping the camouflage scheme uninterrupted.

Last edited:
S

standby1st

For all those who viewed but could not help, I've found the answer. They were dark grey.

A

adzam

thanx for that standby, unfortunately i had no idea where to begin research.but good of you too let us know

Adz..

B

Bunkerbarge

Adz,

To be honest I haven't got any reference but I was involved in a conversation only a few months ago on the pond side and I believe that the floats were buff in peacetime and grey during wartime.

Similarly boats that were white during peacetime were painted grey during hostilities.

It makes sense anyway.

P

Paul_H

I read in "Blood on The water" a description of what a Carley float was.

Basically it was a copper tube, covered in Canvas , presumably to make it easier to grip, so I would think that any colour from Buff to white (if bleached by the sun) would be ok. Or, possibly grey as a result of "If it moves salute it, if not paint it" philosophy of the RN.

P

Pogo

A novel by James Lake "No ordinary Seaman " gives a good description of the floats .Its an old book .

N

Nigel.D

Carly floats were all painted camo or grey in ww2

though as a codicil the ones on the raf launches were still buff

N

noobee captain

I read in "Blood on The water" a description of what a Carley float was.Basically it was a copper tube, covered in Canvas , presumably to make it easier to grip, so I would think that any colour from Buff to white (if bleached by the sun) would be ok. Or, possibly grey as a result of "If it moves salute it, if not paint it" philosophy of the RN.
Nice fleet Paul.

No link to scale-models !?!

K

Kenj

Thanks for that there link Paul, got me thinking again, with the seats down I can get 2 metres in? Hmmmmm.

F

fooman2008

I am going to need some carly floats formy 1/35th Idaho (BB-32) and I haven't ever found any really good pictures (or plans) to be able to scale from.