Carpet Monster

B

bluearmy

I am currently fiddling about with some PE (Modelling a Stug III) for the first time and having proper finger issues, droping the smallest bits into the 'carpet monster'. The failing eye sight was letting me down big style when I remembered a tip I read in a magazine a few years ago, first you need a vacuum cleaner then a pair of the long haired generals best stockings or tights, wrap the tights over the end of the pipe at a joint connect the carpet end and hoover away and hey presto the lost bits are trapped (I found all the bits I lost). The fact that you've hoovered your modelling area should keep the long haired general off your back for ruining her best tights/stockings.

Are there anymore tips out there for finding lost bits????????????

D

dubster72

That's a fine idea! My carpet monster's fed on many a tool clamp so far! What I've found to work is putting a torch on the floor & moving it in an arc-the brass shows up better as it reflects the light. Doesn't work so well with Eduard dark brass though. Patrick

A

ademaker

Here's a tip for not losing them in the first place

I like the tights over the end of the vacuum cleaner idea.

However, do put a shallow box lid or similar on the lap. There's a good chance those tiny fiddly bits will land in it. This is slightly better suggestion than putting empty cardboard boxes at the foot of the stairs in case you fall down them.

Also use the opportunity to get the micro-vac on the carpet under the workbench. That may be like cutting grass with scissors but the chances are you'll come across the part and clean the carpet at the same time ha ha.

Anyway, I think I only ever find about 90% of what I drop. I'm sure some things do literally disappear. Apologies for the corny humour, Cheers.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
ive got to agree with adrian ,ive started to put a box lid on my knees when handling really fiddly bits,99% of the bits i lose drop between my legs and under the chair,this method cuts a lot of that out.

B

bluearmy

Like the idea of a box lid on the knees, will try it out tomorrow night.

Sam.