carrier deck weathering

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
WWII ? Wood deck generally quite clean. Tyre marks at the landing point, maybe a few oil spots in the park up area. Sun and salt bleached. A painted deck would predominently have ware in the landing area and along the runway.

Ian M

L

Laurie

What decking Peter is it metal or wood ? In general British Carriers had metal decks American Wood.

Laurie

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
\ said:
What decking Peter is it metal or wood ? In general British Carriers had metal decks American Wood.Laurie
Its an american 2ww wood one.

Peter t

L

Laurie

Well now Peter I am very surprised. You may already know this. I suppose it depends on if you model is pre USA in WW11. before the war it looks as though they were teak natural colour.

http://www.shipcamouflage.com/specialtopics/BlueFlightDecks.html

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/74900-wwii-us-aircraft-carrier-deck-section/

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
What Ian said Peter, tyre marks, some oil stains and a bit of wear at the touch down zone. No need to worry about the deck colour, it's pre-printed Laurie.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks to be a nice starting point for a display base anyway if you don't have the time to make one yourself. A bit of weathering will bring it to life nicely I would think. Is there something in particular going on this one Peter?

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
\ said:
Looks to be a nice starting point for a display base anyway if you don't have the time to make one yourself. A bit of weathering will bring it to life nicely I would think. Is there something in particular going on this one Peter?
I have a1/72 corsair going on it.

Peter t

Z

Ziper_it

Perhaps you can remove the price?

Sorry, couldn't resist

Francesco

D

demon

I would mask and paint the metal strips a dark grey then mask random planks very slightly different colour maybe just the forward edge of plank just a thought