cellulose thinners

R

rjwood_uk

can cellulose thinners be used to thin acrylics?

not that i should be smelling solvents but i got some Rustin's Cellulose Thinners and to me it smells exactly the same as Tamiyas Acylic thinners.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
NO ! Richard,the smell is simply mustard based to stop people smelling it,well that is the theory anyway,some years ago Humbrol introduced all types of additives to their products to stop people smelling them ( the height of the solvent abuse ) there are all types of cellulose thinners out there but be careful,some people use cellulose in enamel but in theory any chemist will tell you they are not really compatible,wrecking the qualities of the paint,the safest thing to mix enamel with is 'Zest' fruit juice based and obtainable from art shops,if you do not want your room smelling like a refinery then this is the bees knees.

T

tag

Hello rjwood

Its best to use branded thinners ie Tamiya thinners for there own paint as manufacturers use different addatives like retardent etc for there own brand paint an allround thinner try windscreen washer fluid also cheaper to blast through airbushes for colour changes