Cent's Normandy GB, "Remember Good Friends"

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Hi all, i've been thinking a lot for this GB about all the work that went into the D-Day landings, the vehicles, the men. I was going to build a Tiger that i have in my stash (one of many lol) but the only one that springs to mind is of Michael Wittmann's Tiger 007, to be honest that Tiger has been built to death, then there's the Centaur C.S.MkIV which i can't find any info on so i'm not doing that. There is a lot of stuff i could do but what? Well, i've come up with an idea to build a nice simple dio but hopefully it'll have a big impact.

My idea is Normandy but today, the dio will have three figures in 1/48 scale. One will be a U.S D-Day veteran visiting a cemetery like Colleville-sur-Mer, the two other figures will be in the background as a memory of his brothers in arms. It's that simple, i'll post some pics up later when i've got started but the photo will be of three figures and a lot of plastic card lol.

Right, it's time i got to it, have fun, John

F

Fenlander

Nice idea John. Good to see the creativity of thinking coming out in the builds started already.

G

Greg147

Sounds interesting, I'll be looking forward to how it turns out. I saw a similar diorama on another site once, where half was a WW2 field with some Fallschirmjager troops walking along a path, and the rest was modern day, with the field becoming a memorial graveyard.

Like that one, I'm sure your diorama will have the impact you're looking for. Best of luck with it.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one John and different take on Normandy. Well thought out and a nice 'story'

It's good to see the number of modellers entering their builds for this G.B. growing. No matter how simple or involved the subject is, everyone will give it their best shot.

Also, those taking part are helping one and other with pictures and info., which makes these G.B.s all the more fun to do!

Nice to see you're already off having fun mate...

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I was sooooooooooo close to going along the same rute John. I Like the sound of what you are planing it sounds like a good one.

Still there is loads of time yet, so I might do another, if/when I get the one I am doing finished.

I look forwards to seeing the progress.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi john , superb idea. A very simple dio yet with THE most powerful and poignant message, brilliant. I love the simple stuff that just makes you stop in your tracks and go WOW, like rons 'anyone got a match' dio , this one is going to be another unassuming ,hard hitting masterpiece. 5 stars at the ready!, cheers tony

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks for the encouragement lads, well this is what i'll be using outlined in red. The General will be modified to look like a veteran, but as you can see it'll not take much. The two that'll be in the background just look right for the job when i opened the box, the last photo is one of the many cross's.

View attachment 23636View attachment 23635View attachment 23633

View attachment 23637

Have fun, John

View attachment 30244

View attachment 30246

View attachment 30247

View attachment 30248

DSCF6392.jpg

DSCF6390.jpg

DSCF6389.jpg

DSCF6391.jpg

N

noble

Hi John i love the idea can't wait to see this one.

scott

K

Kressy13

This sounds great mate. A simple way to pay our respects for those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks for the kind words fellas, it's going to take me some time as on Monday i had some bad news. My grandmother passed away, she was a great lady and a mean "lady" but she would of said life goes on. The figures are on the bench so i've made a start and the recycled picture frame is on there too. I'll get some pics up as soon as i can.

John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
So sorry to read of your sad loss John, my commiserations to you and your family.

Regards,

Ron

R

Richy C

Love the idea John , done it myself mate with a small desert skeleton dio , a simple dio that can tell a thousand words without to much happening , I`m looking forward to this one mate , great idea

Richy

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Richard

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, I lost my Gran recently too so my sympathy goes to you.

The dio sounds like a great idea and it will be interesting to see this develop but obviously in your own time.

All the very best to you and your family.

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi john , sorry to hear about your gran, all the best to you and your family, tony

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I'm Back!!

Hi all, first i'd like to say thanks to everyone for all the support i got over the last couple of weeks.

As you can see i'm back at the bench, the groundwork is simple. An old picture frame, the grass is on a roll and the headstones are just plastic card but really thick thats why i didn't go for the cross's (if i went for the cross i'll still be at it next year and makin' parts with resin is still on my learn-how-to-do list). The figure has been modded a little, i've played with his pants to look like jeans. He is supposed to have a cap on but i'm going to make a baseball cap to sit on his head.

View attachment 24151View attachment 24150View attachment 24152View attachment 24153View attachment 24149

Have fun, John

View attachment 30669

View attachment 30670

View attachment 30671

View attachment 30672

View attachment 30673

DSCF6398.jpg

DSCF6395.jpg

DSCF6397.jpg

DSCF6394.jpg

DSCF6393.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Really good to have you back and modelling again John, and I hope your whole family are getting back to some sort of normality.

This dio. is looking good, such a thought provoking theme and very well executed so far.

You have a way with simple, uncomplicated subjects that always bring out the best in them.

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rogue-one

hi john, your dio is looking cracking! coming along nicely.

sorry to hear about your loss, hope your ok.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Glad to see you're back on the build and would just like to say its looking good.

Hope you are OK.

Ian M