Hi Mike have just caught up on this one, yes I managed to log in first time since Friday, excellent scratch work as always this build is an education and the detailing superb.
If you don't win some bling at the MAFVA nationals there is no justice in the world and btw good luck.
John R. Yes I had my knuckles bruised a few times with them, even in this scale they have proven to be unwieldy, mine will have a strap around the loose ends on this build.
Ian, John R, Many thanks for your welcome comments.
Things have moved on a bit since the last post, so here goes.
The area above and to the left of the brake gear levers is now complete. And that has taken me to the back wall of the winch house, the radio carrier plate is in place as is the control unit for a No.16 set. also the Emergency crew control junction box, plus all relevant cables. I have also made a start on the radio, cam net, tools, tool boxes, gas cylanders etc. There is paint now on the suspension and wheels at last, the colour on the original looks to be well faded on the sides but not on the front and this has caused some searching, mixing to try to replicate the Green, I have come up with a colour whic is as close as I can get - AK IAF Green (AK795) and once it has had a bit of weathering should get close.
The base is on it's way to finishing, just a bit more weathering and a couple of plants plus road marker and nameplate should see it finished.
And that is it for this post. I will try to get another in before I start final assembly and painting, but I will take photos and bring you up to date.
First, many thanks for all of your comments.
Steve, it is foil from an old wine bottle, vintage unknown, but it must have been good - if only I could remember....
Scottie, Peter and Mick, many thanks, and good to see you here.
Mick, get the towel off, you should see my disasters.....
Si, Welcome sir, wondered how you are doing, and yes the room is running out.
The only downside to this build as far as the detailing goes, is that most of the detail vanishes as soon as the build is complete.
Pleased you like the base. The tarmac is from AK 8013 Tarmac. When you open the pot it looks far too Blue, but does in fact dry out to a nice new tarmac surface. I used an old knife to apply it and then a small roller that is used to paint behind the radiator and that really gave me the worn look. A bit of weathering and there it is.
Many thanks for your comments. The track scratches came from a small length of spare Centurion floppy track link that was CA'd to a piece of plastic to make a stamp. The treads themselves were sanded to a rough texture and then a bit of sponge was dipped into an off white mix, dabbed onto the tread and the tread to the base trying not to get a uniform tread pattern.