Cheap and Easy Weeds

First Name
Andrew
I've been looking at quick and easy ways of creating plant leaves. I came up with the idea of using the discs created with a paper hole punch. I lightly tacked them onto a spray stick with double-sided tape and speckled them green. I used celulose paint here at work, which dries quickly. I didn't want a solid colour.
IMG_3333.JPG IMG_3338.JPG
Having sprayed one side, I flipped them over and speckled the other side.
IMG_3341.JPG IMG_3344.JPG
I then sliced them in half with a scalpel and folded a crease along the rough centre to make a spine from one of the pointed ends. Some went one side, some the other.
IMG_3351.JPG IMG_3352.JPG IMG_3354.JPG
Having made lots of leaves, I then put a blob of PVA on a nylon type surface that I knew the glue wouln't adhere to. I stuck of 4 leaves and then a second group of 4 - 8 leaves in total.
IMG_3355.JPG IMG_3356.JPG IMG_3359.JPG
I fiddled with the bundles a little so that they sat together and gradually made quite a number of plants. Once semi-dry, I flicked them off the shiny surface and left them on their backs to dry.

I hope this inspires you to have a go. It's very easy and costs nothing.
Andy

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Andy,
Your posting has come at the exact right time, I’m just starting to add vegetation to a diorama and I’m playing about with paper leaves to make ivy.....this is very helpful, cheers:smiling4:
Si

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Nice one Andy, those punched circles also make great leaves for pond lilies if you cut a small notch out of them.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Agree with the gang, thanks Andy.
J

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice work Andy. Do you think it would work as well with plastic discs from a leather hole punch? Might be worth a try. Thanks for sharing

First Name
Andrew
Nice work Andy. Do you think it would work as well with plastic discs from a leather hole punch? Might be worth a try. Thanks for sharing
Steve, I would stick to paper as it is more translucent, therefore more natural looking, and will be easier to bend the folds in. Plastic will be more rigid and harder to work with.
Andy