Churchill divisions 1944 Normandy

First Name
Robert
hi chaos and gals

Need some help here, it's my wedding anni today and got me a Churchill ( tamiya 1/35 ) ive got the plan in mind of what I want to do with it but I need the div marks for France 44 say around Caen or where ever the churchills fought in this theatre

Regards

Robert

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Is this any use rob

http://www.weaponsofwwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1794

I also know the 34th armoured division used Churchills in Normandy

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
This cropped up before, I think Patrick answered this one. Not sure but didn't think any Churchills were front line...maybe Canadian?

Si:smiling3:

D

dubster72

This would be useful

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=404

Just remember your Churchill is in my Tiger's binocular gunsight Robert!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
This cropped up before, I think Patrick answered this one. Not sure but didn't think any Churchills were front line...maybe Canadian?
Si:smiling3:
They were but as infantry support and most were III, IV, VI's I don't think any were used at caen though but they were there maybe not d-day but after , most British used fireflys and cromwells in front line activities around cean

First Name
Robert
Alan you just buggered up my idea but heho

From what ref I found yes the churchills were slow to their armour but they were used as you say infantry support ( so I can't use Caen as an idea but here's the idea

Churchill which I thinks a IV or you can make it a VII not too sure yet but if it's the Canadians? Want it British. Anyhow just stopped in a town or village setting and crew taking on supply's from peasants ( chickens, milk butter etc which I have a few French/ polish peasants in various positions I can use.

I want a wee sideline to it as well maybe a dead German ( that is the tough one to get hold off ( dead infantry ) I have stocked up on some French buildings hence that was why I thought Caen

I will do some more intense research over the next few days.

I don't want the critics saying I got it wrong :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thanks for the link fit research

Robert :D :D:D:D:D

First Name
Robert
\ said:
This would be useful
http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=404

Just remember your Churchill is in my Tiger's binocular gunsight Robert!
Thanks for the info Patrick

Just read this very interesting piece and now my plan of action is unfolding. Falaise pocket etc and I'll get the right div numbers etc

How fast can your 88 load and fire to my 75 which is not a "golf ball"

Robert

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Thanks for the info Patrick
Just read this very interesting piece and now my plan of action is unfolding. Falaise pocket etc and I'll get the right div numbers etc

How fast can your 88 load and fire to my 75 which is not a "golf ball"

Robert
Put it one way the Tiger's turret could traverse, depending on engine speed a full 360 degrees in 60 seconds...boom!

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Put it one way the Tiger's turret could traverse, depending on engine speed a full 360 degrees in 60 seconds...boom!
Not to worry I'll shoot your ass ( weak spot )!!! Boom!!!!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Not to worry I'll shoot your ass ( weak spot )!!! Boom!!!!
You won't get near enough... :D

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Alan you just buggered up my idea but heho
From what ref I found yes the churchills were slow to their armour but they were used as you say infantry support ( so I can't use Caen as an idea but here's the idea

Churchill which I thinks a IV or you can make it a VII not too sure yet but if it's the Canadians? Want it British. Anyhow just stopped in a town or village setting and crew taking on supply's from peasants ( chickens, milk butter etc which I have a few French/ polish peasants in various positions I can use.

I want a wee sideline to it as well maybe a dead German ( that is the tough one to get hold off ( dead infantry ) I have stocked up on some French buildings hence that was why I thought Caen

I will do some more intense research over the next few days.

I don't want the critics saying I got it wrong :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thanks for the link fit research

Robert :D :D:D:D:D
Well that works rob and it sounds like you've got the tamy Churchill with the guy handing out bottles of wine , I've got that one and I might just do a small dio with what's in the box, always remember if your going for accuracy then go all in or you can just say cean are 1944 no one can say it's wrong then :D

D

dubster72

Weirdly enough for all their WW1 appearance, Churchill's were excellent in poor terrain & especially on sloping ground.

However, real tank action isn't the silly sequence from ' Fury '!

I'd plink your death-trap from so far away that you wouldn't know what hit you!

You'd never see my cute ass! :P

First Name
Robert
Well like you Alan I like tell a story ( Try and get the feeling of war, the things that happened etc but most of all I want to give the crew respect ( that's why I try to stick to real subjects ) my decal drawer is full of original decals bought with kits but I use aftermarket mainly

Robert

R

rememal

Churchills were used from late June onwards.

31st Tank Bgde were at Caen and then moved to 79th Armd Div,

34th went from France Holland and Germany and were in at the end.

6th Guards Tank Bgde joined in in July to the end.

All these Brigade had Churchills, MkIII, Mk IV, MkV, MkVI and Mk VII.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Well like you Alan I like tell a story ( Try and get the feeling of war, the things that happened etc but most of all I want to give the crew respect ( that's why I try to stick to real subjects ) my decal drawer is full of original decals bought with kits but I use aftermarket mainly
Robert
Your right rob the best dios have a story to tell , I've been doing some research on operation battleaxe to see what other tank I can use with my crusader and both the crusader and the Matilda were part of it but I can't find anything on unit markings or find out if they were in the same units so what I've done is use this as a staging area awaiting areas there's a good chance there would have been a mix until the operation started :smiling3:

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Your right rob the best dios have a story to tell , I've been doing some research on operation battleaxe to see what other tank I can use with my crusader and both the crusader and the Matilda were part of it but I can't find anything on unit markings or find out if they were in the same units so what I've done is use this as a staging area awaiting areas there's a good chance there would have been a mix until the operation started :smiling3:
http://ww2db.com/battle_spec.php?battle_id=260

Not sure if this is of any help but I found content that you mention about Crusaders and Matilda's

Regards

Robert

o_Oo_O:rolleyes:o_Oo_O

R

rememal

Crusaders and Matilda did not serve in the same units together,

The Matilda being an Infantry tank and the Crusader a cruiser, designed for two very different jobs.