CLARISSA-MAE 1870'S INSHORE CRAB/LOBSTER BOAT DIO.

First Name
Andy
How I'd look at it, is, most of the canals etc would have been near to factories, so having a disused and dry water way with an old barge/boat next to a factory would be very believable, they would have eventually moved away from using the water and moved to using the roads...

R

Richy C

Sometimes less is more if that makes sense , if there is to much going on in a dio it takes you eyes off the main focus of the build , if it was me I would go for the tree line .

by the way the boat and water look superb.

Richy

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
The second picture looks good and gives the idea I want, however, after faffing with it the problem is unless you look directly at the model the scheme doesn't work the gap between the fence and the backdrop isn't enough so it looks wrong from other angles. Looks like I will be doing the tree-line. Thanks guys for all your input, sounding off like this gives pros and cons and points that I may not consider.

Si:smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think the problem is that the factory is at the moment far to bright and I think out of scale. It looks odd.

The idea is pretty good though. I think if the scale was better and it was toned down to look like a neglected factory...

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I hope you don't mind but I have merged the two thread for this project.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Si, I've been having a look and here's my take on it.

To be totally brutal, I think the fence too looks a bit out of place and also detracts a bit from the excellent craft, which should be the centre piece, with no distractions from it.....

Can I suggest a simple, muddy tow path, complete with a couple of old bollards?

The backdrop simply some basic greenery?

Much more and I could see the boat being a bit lost....General decay comes to mind.

Which ever way you go, I'm sure it will be up to your excellent standard....

Ron

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I agree with Laurie on this one Si.
Yep, you're right Joe. The boat is the focus point not behind it.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I think the problem is that the factory is at the moment far to bright and I think out of scale. It looks odd.The idea is pretty good though. I think if the scale was better and it was toned down to look like a neglected factory...

Ian M
Hi Ian, the idea works...sort of, but you're right having messed about with it it looks wrong, scale isn't too far off but the issue is perspective, it has to be too close to the fence part and throws it all off.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I hope you don't mind but I have merged the two thread for this project.Ian M
No probs mate:smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Si, I've been having a look and here's my take on it.To be totally brutal, I think the fence too looks a bit out of place and also detracts a bit from the excellent craft, which should be the centre piece, with no distractions from it.....

Can I suggest a simple, muddy tow path, complete with a couple of old bollards?

The backdrop simply some basic greenery?

Much more and I could see the boat being a bit lost....General decay comes to mind.

Which ever way you go, I'm sure it will be up to your excellent standard....

Ron
Hi Ron, thanks for taking the time to comment. The fence has to stay really as the polystyrene I made the tow-path out off ragged something shocking at the back, I know you should just look at the front, but it has annoyed me so much. What I will do, is tone down the fence, weather it somewhat, that way the brownness is toned down and your focus moves to the boat.

Glad you like it Ron.

First Name
rob
what about a smaller facade of the factory, crumbling brickwork and a smashed window perhaps with alittle ,,danger,keep out sign. i think you should keep the boat as the focal point.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
what about a smaller facade of the factory, crumbling brickwork and a smashed window perhaps with alittle ,,danger,keep out sign. i think you should keep the boat as the focal point.
I know where you're coming from Rob, but the setting is around circa 1910, so the factory probably would still be in use. You're right though, the boat is the focal point so just going to add some foliage behind the fence.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Foliage behind the fence, and what about some coming over the top too? So the greenery will break up the straight fence line a bit and keep the eye concentrated on the boat....

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Foliage behind the fence, and what about some coming over the top too? So the greenery will break up the straight fence line a bit and keep the eye concentrated on the boat....
You must have read my mind Ron, my thinking exactly. Looking into foam to do the main foliage and then strands or something over the fence. Great minds think a like :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Shredded wire wool will make your tangled bramble bushes Si.....and the same dipped in pva and then sprinkle some dried herbs on for some leaves. Dried parsley makes a good leaf....there are loads of ways to make leaves, but this one is as good as any.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Shredded wire wool will make your tangled bramble bushes Si.....and the same dipped in pva and then sprinkle some dried herbs on for some leaves. Dried parsley makes a good leaf....there are loads of ways to make leaves, but this one is as good as any.
Got some foliage in my stash, various bits and bobs and have got some flowersoft that I may use. I like the idea of the shredded wire wool, got some fine grade that will look good, thanks for the tip.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
*UPDATE*

Took the advice of Ron and others and have kept the fence with just some overhanging foliage, made from foam and painted and coated. Also made some brambles or growth from wire wool, painted and coated. I have used some 'flowersoft' to add some flowers just to soften it a bit. The dio is just about finished and have started on the figures that will accompany this.

View attachment 70443

View attachment 70444

View attachment 70445

View attachment 70446

View attachment 70447

View attachment 70448

View attachment 70449

View attachment 70450

DSCF1767.JPG

DSCF1768.JPG

DSCF1769.JPG

DSCF1770.JPG

DSCF1771.JPG

DSCF1772.JPG

DSCF1773.JPG

DSCF1774.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I think that looks great Si. A nice balance between the boat subject and the detailed background.