Cleaning after lacquer paint

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheap lacquer / standard / cellulose thinner, whatever you want to call it.

Available from many motor factors, Halfords etc.

I (kinda) still have my own bodyshop so buy it in 25 litre drums. Should clean the airbrush a few times :tears-of-joy:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I just use Mr Levelling thinners, same as I use to dilute the paint. Not quite as smelly as cheap cellulose thinner, even if it is a little dearer.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I find Mr Tool Cleaner to be excellent for this. It is very strong stuff. By all means try the hardware store lacquer or cellulose thinner as an alternative but I found it had a bad smell, worse than the MTC or MLT or lacquer paint. Also you will find that ipa works well though sometimes you might need something stronger like MTC.

One word of warning. Lacquers can be a problem for airbrush seals on cheap airbrushes, specially the strong MTC and hardware store thinner. Over time the seals will deteriorate. If you have a more expensive airbrush, like Iwata or H&S you should be OK.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I use liquid reamer first, followed by mr tool cleaner. Also use a Tamiya airbrush cleaning brush to clean around the inside of the cup. Never had any issues.

Plus when I next use the airbrush I put levelling thinner in the cup and blast it through first

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I find Mr Tool Cleaner to be excellent for this. It is very strong stuff. By all means try the hardware store lacquer or cellulose thinner as an alternative but I found it had a bad smell, worse than the MTC or MLT or lacquer paint. Also you will find that ipa works well though sometimes you might need something stronger like MTC.

One word of warning. Lacquers can be a problem for airbrush seals on cheap airbrushes, specially the strong MTC and hardware store thinner. Over time the seals will deteriorate. If you have a more expensive airbrush, like Iwata or H&S you should be OK.
That answered my question re seals. Thanks Barry.