Colin M,s NMF dilemma

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Colin got me thinking about NMF on aircraft. So I did this little experiment.
Painted the top of a lid with Vallejo gloss black primer, then on one half I swirled on thin coats of Vallejo 71.057 black and Vallejo 71.251 nations black. Then I sprayed Vallejo metal colour 77.724 silver.
I'm not sure if this is what Colin's looking for, but you do get a variation in the silver colour.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
I did turn the tub around so you could see it wasn't just from the light source. I'm now wondering if you used dark greys and blacks if you'd get different results.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ian,
I'm just finishing off my NMF Mig-21MF - I used grey Ultimate Primerprimed 01.jpg

This gave a nice smooth finish. I used Vallejo Metal Color Aluminium, misted on.

onf 01.jpg

As it was the first real attempt at a NMF, I was quite happy. The primer coat didn't really seem to make any difference to the final finish. Then again, I wasn't after a 'showroom' finish, as you don't see aircraft like that. If I was doing a car, trying to get a really shiny finish, then the primer may make a difference.
I may find out more shortly, as part of the F1GB, I'm doing a Tyrrell Honda, which has a base colour of gunmetal , for which I have the Vallejo Metal Color Gunmetal Grey..............
Dave

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I tried a variation on my Lightning, sort of a black-base but I pretty much obliterated most of it. It does leave a slight variation but hard to see. I'm a bit ham-fisted with the coats. This was Humbrol black base with Metalcote on top. I think it would also be more effective on a larger scale, say 1/48 and up.

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Joe
I did think of priming a few panels black, over the base grey primer, to give a bit of variation, but an experiment on card didn't show any difference! The Metal Color covers too well!
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice one Ian, at least you have the patience to actually experiment. I'm sure varying the shades of black / grey etc will have an effect, but I wonder if it would be quicker just to alter the shade of metal colour used. Having said that, maybe there isn't a quicker alternative, I'm just being a bit lazy.
My bench is clear, maybe I should pull my finger out and do some experiments myself.