Colin M's Bristol F.2b Fighter. 1/32 wingnut wings

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Apologies for my late arrival, but holidays and gardens have delayed my start. But anyway, here I am and in a few days, the wife and kids are away on more holidays, without me - which can only mean, bench time, and lots of it.
So, I'm going to have a go at the Wingnut wings Bristol F.2b Fighter. I had a rather 'big' birthday recently, and this was one of three kits I received.
So, the box shot.
IMG_2360.JPG

What's inside. Well, a huge set of decals and a nice instruction book.
IMG_2361.JPG

This instructions are quite amazing. Pictures as you build.
IMG_2362.JPG

And sprues, lots of them.
IMG_2363.JPG

So, where to start. Cockpit ? Engine ? well how about rigging !

I'm going to need loads of these, no, really loads, so that's what I've done, made a 'ton' of these rigging eyes.
IMG_2366.JPG
That's a Swan and Morton No2 blade. Believe me, I didn't make all these rigging eyes in one go. That would be madness.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll do some proper work.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Colin
Great to see one of these on the go. Never built a wingnut kit (yet) so it will be good to see one come together, I think their instructions in particular are top class, and all are downloadable from the web site...

D

Deleted member 6559

Great to see this Colin. Wingnut have a great reputation and this looks like a nice kit. Who would have thought that Peter Jackson had the time to go into kit manufacture while making Hollywood blockbusters?

Rather you than me re those rigging eyes....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Peter, Jackson didn’t just start up wingnut wings. Did you see the Chunuk Bair diorama he coordinated from the wargames fraternity as part of New Zealand’s Great War celebrations? Apparently it’s due to close this year, and it’s future is unsure, which is a real shame....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Colin
Worth being 50 if you get such great pressies. These kits have a superb reputation. Rigging eyes look great but fiddly in the extreme. I remember a YouTube video showing little sections of brass tube used *HERE* I am sure you have already seen it.
Jim

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Very nice present and choice Colin:thumb2:, working in that scale it's easier (and a must:tongue-out3:) to go the extra step in rigging.
Like the rest following with great interest...:smiling:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great choice for the GB Colin. Looks like it will keep you busy for a while. Look forward to the next update:thumb2:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
These are great looking kits by Wingnut, the instruction book looks superb. I've only built one bi-plane but actually enjoyed rigging it. Will join the watchers on this one.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Watching this Colin, will be a magnificent build in 1/32

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Good evening Gentlemen (well it's evening here in Staffordshire) and thank you all for your interest.
I must get myself a Wingnut Wings kit one day
They are great, but at a price. Any big birthdays coming up ?
downloadable from the web site
Their web site is brilliant, full of tips to get the best from your build.
Peter Jackson had the time to go into kit manufacture while making Hollywood blockbusters?
Indeed, but where is the dam busters remake I heard about a long time ago. That I would love to see.
Worth being 50 if you get such great pressies
50, when I said big birthday I meant 18 ! innit like yo !
(and a must:tongue-out3:) to go the extra step in rigging.
Rigging is fine, the control cables are something else.

So look, it's true, I am actually part of this group build. I've built an engine.
Front.JPG

Rear.JPG

Side.JPG

Top.JPG

I know it's customary to start with the cockpit and I have, but that involves a bit of oil for the wood work which refuses to dry. I don't know what's wrong, so whilst it's drying I built this. It's nearly OOB, just the addition of 24 plug leads. I might add a bit more wiring when the engine is mounted. Then again, I might not, even in 1:32 my peepers are a bit tired after a few days on this little Rolls Royce falcon.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s a cracking engine, love the colours and the wiring..

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great kit, great start! Looking forward to the rest of the build.

This is another one of those kits I have waiting in the stash and I’m interesested to see what you make of it.

Lovely work in the engine. If the rest of the build looks as good as this then it will be a special model indeed.

Keep up the great work Colin :thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Colin, the engine is a work of art.:thumb2: If this is what it is already I'm lookng forward to the rest.

Cheers,
Richard

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Cracking work on the engine Colin.
My next big Birthday is my 60th in 4 years time
What - last time I saw you at Cosford, you didn't look old enough to drive. Easy life or what...….Anyway, if you can persuade someone to buy you one for the happy day, bear in mind they do go out of production quite often. Hence, something you fancy now, might not be available in four years time.

Moving on, a bit more work has been done. Just about all the cockpit bits had been painted, but now I've actually stuck them all together. The belts were a bit of a pain. I just couldn't see where they were supposed to attach. Then I noticed a couple of tiny holes lost under paint ! On the subject of the belts, they are quite thick and so a bit difficult to get to conform to the contours of the seat etc.
The IP has individual decals, nice. At the rear of the cockpit ,in the gunners position is a bag made out of a large piece of photo etch. This was shaped and painted and looked quite nice, until a trial fit showed it was way too big. So, I had to flatten it a bit which sort of lost some of the effect. However, it will hardly be seen once the rear gun deck is in place, so I can live with that.

And look. The poor old pilot sits right on top of the fuel tank.
Pit 1.JPG

Pit 2.JPG

Pit 3.JPG

B

Brad9826

Good evening Gentlemen (well it's evening here in Staffordshire) and thank you all for your interest.

They are great, but at a price. Any big birthdays coming up ?

Their web site is brilliant, full of tips to get the best from your build.

Indeed, but where is the dam busters remake I heard about a long time ago. That I would love to see.

50, when I said big birthday I meant 18 ! innit like yo !

Rigging is fine, the control cables are something else.

So look, it's true, I am actually part of this group build. I've built an engine.
View attachment 311481

View attachment 311482

View attachment 311483

View attachment 311484

I know it's customary to start with the cockpit and I have, but that involves a bit of oil for the wood work which refuses to dry. I don't know what's wrong, so whilst it's drying I built this. It's nearly OOB, just the addition of 24 plug leads. I might add a bit more wiring when the engine is mounted. Then again, I might not, even in 1:32 my peepers are a bit tired after a few days on this little Rolls Royce falcon.
I reckon if you hooked that up it would probably start , what a beauty .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Colin, very nicely done...only visible seam lines spotted on the gun cradle needs taken care off.

Cheers,
Richard

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
only visible seam lines spotted on the gun cradle needs taken care off.
The black curvy bit ? I've also just noticed a few holes in the belt, filled with paint. Isn't macro photography brilliant !