Colin M's Hasegawa 1:72 Sea Harrier FRS 1

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well blame the good weather, that's why I've taken ages to complete this one.

The finish isn't brilliant, I think I realised this was dragging on and might of rushed it a bit at the end.

Anyway, this aircraft, XZ495 went along to the Falklands with 801 squadron, but I've not been able to find out what she got up to down there.

1993 saw the aircraft converted to FA 2 spec. The aircraft was lost 5th January 1994 over the Bristol channel suffering an engine failure, the pilot Lt Wilson ejected safely and was picked only seven minutes later.

The finish I've gone for here is the pre-war scheme. This was altered on all Harriers as they headed south to an overall grey scheme. Also, I really liked the look of those Sea Eagle anti shipping missiles - they're huge !

The model was ok, not bad detail for the price, decals a bit thick and the instructions for placing them could have been better.

Time for an optical illusion, this port side wheel is actually straight, I think the sloping wing makes it look wrong. Honest............oh and you might also notice a distinct lack of weathering. It was really difficult for me not to get her all dirty ( you know I like a dirty bird) but I just don't think these aircraft really got dirty, well not at this part of its life.

View attachment 82740

View attachment 82741

View attachment 82742

View attachment 82743

View attachment 82744

View attachment 82745

View attachment 82746

And to top it all, a gloss finish - that's definitely a new one for me.

Thanks for looking.

Colin M............

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That's really nice Colin nowt wrong there great build from me

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
You're being a bit harsh with yourself Col'....That's one nice looking aircraft.

Ron

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I think that looks brilliant Colin, you say the finish isn't that great, it certainly doesn't show.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Mike
That's really nice Colin, I like that you've left it clean (I know the current trend is to weather the heck out of everything but not all aircraft were).

P

Polux

Great one Colin ;)

The outdoor photos are a nice touch :smiling3:

Cheers

Polux

C

Caledonia

That's a beauty Colin, love the colours and the finish you have achieved on this classic Aircraft. Even flat paint can have a sheen under certain lighting conditions. It's a great build in my book. Cheers Derek.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great build Colin. I know how tricky these Harriers are to build, you've done an amazing job. I am just starting the white on mine, same unit same period, different aircraft though. Apparently not an easy kit the Hasegawa Sea Harrier, but you have made a great job of it. Any chance of an underside shot please?

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Great harrier Colin very nicely painted and photographed top job

B

BigZimmo

Hi Colin!!

I also think, that you've done a great job. It's an awesome model and a Harrier in this kind of camouflage is not to be seen all days.

Well done, mate!! :smiling3:

N

noble

\ said:
Well blame the good weather, that's why I've taken ages to complete this one.The finish isn't brilliant, I think I realised this was dragging on and might of rushed it a bit at the end.

Anyway, this aircraft, XZ495 went along to the Falklands with 801 squadron, but I've not been able to find out what she got up to down there.

1993 saw the aircraft converted to FA 2 spec. The aircraft was lost 5th January 1994 over the Bristol channel suffering an engine failure, the pilot Lt Wilson ejected safely and was picked only seven minutes later.

The finish I've gone for here is the pre-war scheme. This was altered on all Harriers as they headed south to an overall grey scheme. Also, I really liked the look of those Sea Eagle anti shipping missiles - they're huge !

The model was ok, not bad detail for the price, decals a bit thick and the instructions for placing them could have been better.

Time for an optical illusion, this port side wheel is actually straight, I think the sloping wing makes it look wrong. Honest............oh and you might also notice a distinct lack of weathering. It was really difficult for me not to get her all dirty ( you know I like a dirty bird) but I just don't think these aircraft really got dirty, well not at this part of its life.

View attachment 82911

View attachment 82912

View attachment 82913

View attachment 82914

View attachment 82915

View attachment 82916

View attachment 82917

And to top it all, a gloss finish - that's definitely a new one for me.

Thanks for looking.

Colin M............

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Colin. I too think that it looks great and think that you are being a bit hard on yourself.

Ian M

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great build Colin real like it, well done ;)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks all for looking. Right now, my SHAR sits on top of my aquarium with a Seafire and I find it kind of strange that the wings of the SHAR and Seafire both have very similar angles of attack, bearing mind that the Seafire is a tail dragger. I can't think of any other jet aircraft that has wings where the trailing edge is so much lower than the leading edge ( a function of the landing gear heights, well except a RN phantom) Of course this must have something to do with the Harriers' STOL capabilities, but even so, it still looks like it's ready to pounce.

\ said:
Great build Colin. I know how tricky these Harriers are to build, you've done an amazing job. I am just starting the white on mine, same unit same period, different aircraft though. Apparently not an easy kit the Hasegawa Sea Harrier, but you have made a great job of it. Any chance of an underside shot please?
Joe, I missed it out totally ! next time it's not raining, I'll sort one or two out.

Again, thanks everyone, now a step into the Great war awaits me.

Colin M...................

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Colin

The Harrier looks great and in 1/72 too. The finesse of the finish makes this look like a 1/48 build. I'm pretty impressed with the kit too it looks a very good 1/72 model.

The paint finish is just right IMO and very neatly applied (not easy in 1/72 which tends to show off every minuscule error)

Lovely work and a gong for sure

Paul