Colin M's Sea Harrier FRS1

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thank you all for your input. Well now, the SHAR advances ever so slowly. The decals are done. Not too many for such a large scale but I'm happy with that.

View attachment 102586

View attachment 102587

Now the silly bit. The instructions didn't say anything about opening up the holes on the wings for the pylons - and I didn't think ahead. So, drop tanks and Sidewinders are built ready to fit, but no where to go - FOOL....and of course the bright light trick wont work as I've painted the thing already. Time for some careful drilling.

Colin M...

Decals 1.JPG

Decals 2.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Colin. Hopefully you can get the pylon son with not too much hassle.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Like this alot Colin, looks excellent . As you say though , its surprising there arent hundreds of stencils to apply , at this scale you would be able to see them all. Thinking about it , its probably a blessing in disguise , Imagine if the current Revell had made this with their very comprehensive decal sheets , it would have contained about two thousand items !!!!!! Tony

First Name
Dave
That's looking really good Colin.These old kits can be fun!.ill be glad when I've finished filling and sanding my Spitfire though.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
That's looking really good Colin. These old kits can be fun!.ill be glad when I've finished filling and sanding my Spitfire though.
Filling and sanding, well for me it's all over the SHAR is complete. Unfortunately, I've got the same Spitfire sitting behind me (which is where it's saying for a long time)

So, the Sea Harrier FRS1 is complete. What a journey. Even now, those 'jolly little rivets' are still visible.....................

A little bit of history - I would normally research the model in depth, but I've seen enough of XZ457, so I've copied the below:

From April to June 1982 during the Falklands War she was embarked on HMS Hermes. On 21st May following an attack on HMS Ardent, Lieutenant Clive (Spag) Morrell shot down one A-4Q Skyhawk A-307 with a Sidewinder and damaged another with 30mm cannon fire. The second aircraft was subsequently confirmed as a “victory” after the conflict when it was confirmed that the pilot had ejected with undercarriage failure whilst trying to land at Port Stanley airfield. On May 24th, Lieutenant-Commander Andy Auld shot down two Grupo 6 Daggers with Sidewinders over Pebble Island. ((From Boscome Down Aviation collection))

And, just to finish off, some pics.

View attachment 102982

View attachment 102983

View attachment 102984

View attachment 102985

View attachment 102986

View attachment 102987

View attachment 102988

View attachment 102989

View attachment 102990

There we have it, a monster 1:24 Harrier. It's quite an imposing site sat on top of my fish tank in the living room, which is where it will live for a few weeks before being consigned to the garage ceiling, never to be seen gain.

I was due to take part in the Bomber group build, but I think I need something really small in 1:72 to play with next, or maybe basket weaving / flower pressing.......................

All comments / questions welcomed.

Colin M...

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

First Name
Dave
That really is a great build Colin.Especially considering the 'Quality' of the kit it was built from.And it's good to see some 'Proper' modelling on the forum for a change,with lots of filler and sanding involved!.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Stirling work Colin , it looks brilliant and not a rivet to be seen! You deserve a holiday after that ! cheers tony

Z

Ziper_it

Great build with a perfectly clean finishing.

And it was not easy considering the age of the kit.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great result Colin, you have worked magic on this old kit and it looks the part. Interesting history too, 4 Argentine victims.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for having a look Gentlemen.

\ said:
That really is a great build Colin.Especially considering the 'Quality' of the kit it was built from.And it's good to see some 'Proper' modelling on the forum for a change,with lots of filler and sanding involved!.
The funny thing is Dave, we all deal with poor fitting kits, so in this respect this Harrier is no different. It's just the fact it's so big, means everything takes forever to sort out.

\ said:
And it was not easy considering the age of the kit.
True, not easy - but if you want a really big Harrier, it's the only option.

\ said:
I've yet to start mine
The kit is actually simple enough, just huge - but you knew that.......

\ said:
Interesting history too, 4 Argentine victims.
A decal for July 1982 is supplied showing 3 kills. The fourth was only confirmed some time later. The last was damaged by cannon fire from XZ457 but escaped, only to crash at Stanley airfield when its landing gear failed, damage caused by its contact with XZ457.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
OMG!!! You've finished it!!!

Wow, that is a quick build and to such a high standard too!

The Harrier looks simply superb - I love it. I'm going to reread the thread now to catch up on the stuff I've missed.

Again, lovely model and I bet it is imposing (how are the fish liking their new neighbour!)

Cheers

P

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Colin - she is a real beauty, you have done a superb job but what a waste to store her never to be seen again. That one deserves to be displayed... Top marks from me.

First Name
Gregg
Really enjoyed following this, turned out a great build despite all the problems.

Really admire your patience!

Gregg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for looking in gentlemen.

\ said:
Really admire your patience!
Patience was well tried with this one. I'm supposed to be taking part in the 4 engine build, but I think I'll have a break.

\ said:
That one deserves to be displayed
Well, at the moment it's still sitting on the aquarium - it will be there for sometime yet.

\ said:
I bet it is imposing
It is, which is why it's still living with us and not consigned to the garage ceiling - just yet.