Colin M's Trumpeter 1:72 fairey Gannet mk 1 / 4

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So, the tail sitting issue continues. Hence any redundant plastic is being removed. The pic below shows the excess radome plastic removed, if it's not needed, it can't stay.

View attachment 110034

And yet more lead in the leading edges of the wings.

View attachment 110035

The wings are now attached, and I think I'm there, no tail sitting, but what a heavy little 1:72 it's turned out to be !

Chopped.JPG

IMG_1191.JPG

First Name
Jason
Looking good Colin. It's amazing how much weight is needed in such a little model! Nice job on the canopies as well mate. Should be a straight run to the finish line now, I'll look forward to the next installment.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Designers the world over stripping and tearing at aircraft structures to make them lighter. Then comes along Colin and his bag of lead.

Nice job Colin, hopefully that avoids any tail sitting.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Designers the world over stripping and tearing at aircraft structures to make them lighter. Then comes along Colin and his bag of lead.
Nice job Colin, hopefully that avoids any tail sitting.
Tail sitting is a very serious affliction - even the big ones get it wrong sometimes. :eek:

View attachment 110085

vulcan19.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
An update, but not much interesting.

It's primed. However the Halfords primer was rubbish. It just didn't atomise very well so I had to sand it back quite hard to remove the rough finish it left me with.

View attachment 111654

The 'Sky' areas have been pre shaded with what I hope is a complimentary colour - we'll see.

View attachment 111655

The upper surfaces which will have (extra) Dark Sea Grey on them get a black pre-shade.

View attachment 111656

I might get a bit of top coat on tomorrow. Back to enamels for this one, only because I've already got the paints ready to go.

Colin M...

Primer.JPG

Underside preshade.JPG

Upper preshade.JPG

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Colin how have you done your pre-shading? have you used a mask on one side and feathered the other side? Model is looking good by the way looking forward to more updates.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Colin how have you done your pre-shading? have you used a mask on one side and feathered the other side? Model is looking good by the way looking forward to more updates.
I just held a small piece of card (business card type thing) in place by hand. Masking would have produced a really hard line. This produced a very slightly fuzzy leading edge, and a well feathered trailing edge. It takes me a lot longer than the normal way of pre-shading, and may not be worth the extra effort. We'll see after the top coat is on.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Paint applied. The brown pre-shade on the under side was probably a touch too light. It's visible, just.

View attachment 112178

The upper side came out ok. Maybe a touch more paint would have been better - I think I need better lighting in my garage (where I spray) The pre-shading was done in a different style which like and will try again on the next suitable build.

View attachment 112179

Colin M....

Lower.JPG

Upper.JPG

First Name
Dave
The preshading looks good.

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Colin, the pre-shading has come out nicely.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's finished. Pics in the completed SIG section.