Colins Prometheus

C

CDW

Well then, first time at a SIG build.

Thought about a 1/32 Battlestar Galactica dio jobbie but after seeing the thread (and being a little in awe and thorougly impressed) on the Star Wars destroyer i thought i'd have a go at a scratch built model.

Sooooo .. i'll be attempting the "Prometheus" from Stargate SG1

Got all the relevant info (as varied as it is from the online Sci-Fi geeks that seem to think the whole things real :smiling3: )

Have sorted a scale line-drawing and have screen shots for end of build detailing

Going to assume that the ship is 370 meters long which should give a model of about 36 inches at 1/400 scale.

No sprue shots i'm afraid .... but i do have a big pile of soft wood, balsa, plastic bits, card, wire, metal tubing, toilet roll tubes, some sticky-back plastic, a cornflakes box and a pair of Vals old knickers (if anyone remembers that Blue Peter parody? :smiling3: :smiling3: )

How long we got for this? .... 12 months would be good.... i might just make it !!!! :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As a SG1 fan I will be watching this one...

Ian M

N

noble

will be watching this i like SG1 so i do best of luck with the build colin.

scott

B

Boldman

I look forward to seeing what use you put Val's old knickers to (yes I remember that sketch :smiling3: )

C

CDW

SG1 fans a-plenty it seems .... no pressure then ....gulp!

There's a few images that show the various floors having lit portholes/windows ... might thread some bell wire through the main "cross shape" chassis with a view to having a few LED's scattered about to light up a few windows in the tower and the front bit (whatever that would be called ... the bow i suppose?)

Might as well go the whole hog eh?

As for Vals' unmentionables ... it's a shame it didn't have a flag eh? :smiling3: :smiling3:

Will post piccies when i've got something more to show than a couple of lengths of soft wood stuck together.

C

CDW

Ok some progress, excuse the images ... crappy camera phone and a rush job as i was clearing up after a session in my little cupboard under the stairs.

Excuse the state of my bench as well please people.

The main frame, with the bulk of the "fuselage" attached, have made it hollow for weight reasons and also it's handy to have somewhere tp thread the wires for the lights.

View attachment 34207View attachment 34208

Have got the basic shape for the "nose pod".

Is just pinned and glued at the moment waiting a bit of filler and some more detailing bits (apparently these are called Greebles ... you learn something new everyday eh?)

View attachment 34209View attachment 34210View attachment 34211

View attachment 38747

View attachment 38748

View attachment 38749

View attachment 38750

View attachment 38751

IMAG0090.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

C

CDW

Thanks Ian

There's loads of differently styled versions of this on T'interweb, gives me a little "Carte Blanc" and i'm picking and choosing what i consider the "best styled" bits to go on this version, there might be a few more (or less) streamlined bits, and a few angles different but at the end of the day it will (should) still look like the ship in question, as long as i enjoy the build and i'm happy with the end result thats all that matters a suppose :smiling3: :smiling3:

C

CDW

Thanks Scott,

Little more progress

Have made the main piece for the rear tower and this is it dry fitted just for the photo, this will eventually sit on the "wings?" increasing the height about 3 inches further.

Have also built up the rear end of the "fuselage" ready for the "wings?" to be attached to, this is made up from several thinner sheets as i'm hoping that the joins may give an impression of "decks" when painted.

(You realise that i don't know what to call any of these structures correctly, as long as you're following me that's fine :smiling3: )

View attachment 34314

Also cut out a few window holes ready for the frames to go over (when i find something to make them from that is)

Will be doing the same to the main tower thingy as that will have the odd lit window too.

View attachment 34315View attachment 34316

still need to countersink the pin heads and filler as you can see.

View attachment 38818

View attachment 38819

View attachment 38820

IMAG0097.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

IMAG0099.jpg

C

CDW

Did a bit more work to the fuselage, just basically added some height to the rear, no picture coz it doesn't actually look that much different from the last one i took:smiling3:

A bit more detail on the main tower, still more to do on this.

View attachment 34473

Made up the main shape for the engine-side-pod-nacelle doo-dahs

View attachment 34474View attachment 34475View attachment 34476

Just working on the "wings" at the mo, after that it'll be the main engine thruster assemblies and that'll be all the major components ready to put together as a whole.

View attachment 38970

View attachment 38971

View attachment 38972

View attachment 38973

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Taking shape nicely Colin...Great fun this scratch building lark, eh?

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well the wife just saw the pictures over my shoulder and said "Hey! thats the Prometheus". And she is an SG nerd, so you are well on the right path!!

Ian M

N

noble

like what iam seeing here Colin keep up the good work so far, are you going to build one of the small x302 fighters as well?

scott

C

CDW

Thanks for the encouraging words people, i still haven't ripped my hair out or thrown my dummy so alls good.

\ said:
are you going to build one of the small x302 fighters as well?
Thinking of "carving" a couple of miniture jobbies to sit in the landing bays on the main fuselage (if thats what they are :smiling3: )

Should add a bit more detail to the thing.

C

CDW

Built the "wings" and added the tower (after installing the lights inside) and added window "frames" most of them are "lit" the others will be blackened out when painted.

I tried spraying a spare bit of balsa and painting the windows on, this frame idea seems to give it a more 3d effect and i think makes the detail stand out more. I have also added windows more areas of the tower than is indicated on most images, found a computer generated model on a sci-fi forum and i liked the look so have based the window design partly on this.... don't look too bad me-thinks.

View attachment 34637View attachment 34638

Completed the main bulk of the underside and made a battery compartment (the lid is resting next to the model) used tiolet roll tubes for the base of the thrusters, will add more surface detail later.

View attachment 34639

View attachment 39124

View attachment 39125

View attachment 39126

IMAG0109.jpg

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

C

CDW

OK then ... have come acros the situation now (earlier than i expected) that the model bits have to be put together so i can add the "joining" details (such as butress pieces, angled bits, main tower front bit etc etc ... note i still don't have the correct terminology at hand :smiling3: )

It's ....errrrrm .... a bit big when it in one piece !!

View attachment 34738View attachment 34739View attachment 34740View attachment 34741

Now to get on and add all the little details on and around the ship, think it might be best if i work on it section by section, that way when one's done ... it's done.

View attachment 39225

View attachment 39226

View attachment 39227

View attachment 39228

IMAG0126.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0129.jpg