Colour of antenna

R

roconnell

Hi guys, quick question.

Just in the final stages of completing my Tamiya Universal Carrier and one is contemplating what colour to us for the antenna.

Would flat black suffice or is there a more suitable colour?

Cheers

Rich

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'd personally paint it dark grey to allow for weathering

T

tecdes

Do you mean antenna Rigging Richard ? This is an interesting question the answer to which on models so far I have guessed.

Presume the rigging was constructed loads of wire rolled into a wire rope.

If so was it stainless steel or galvanised. Also if on a night bomber I would have thought that they would have been coloured matt black or dark grey.

On a fighter that is also interesting as you would not want glinting from the sun onto the antenna to give away your presence.

All speculation above. Can some one please give some actual fact ?

Laurie

C

CDW

been gun carrier antenna would be flat black/grey/green .. whatever colour they had on the brush at the time. they only painted them to avoid any reflecting in the field. the paints would be as low as possible in lead content to reduce restriction in broadcast and reception.

I remember dad talking about "in field" servicing and repainting and mentioning this amoungst other things.

T

tecdes

Apologies here I did not read the article with my eyes open. I was refering to aircraft not vehicles although the interest from my point of view is still there.

Laurie

R

rememal

When i was in the Army in the 70` and 80`s the antennas on our vehicles were a green colour very much like bronze green, so i paint all my antennas in a similar colour.

Malc.

R

roconnell

\ said:
been gun carrier antenna would be flat black/grey/green .. whatever colour they had on the brush at the time. they only painted them to avoid any reflecting in the field. the paints would be as low as possible in lead content to reduce restriction in broadcast and reception.I remember dad talking about "in field" servicing and repainting and mentioning this amoungst other things.
Thanks for this mate, interesting info.

Thanks to all for contributing also.

Cheers

Rich :smiling: