Colours and kit for first build

D

Deisenaut

Hi everyone - first post here and new to modelling. Im 34 and getting an Academy 1:72 B-17F Flying Fortress Memphis Belle for christmas, and also i'm not meant to know. The thing is that the 1 model shop in town will probably be closed through the whole of Christmas so I need to stock up in advance - this is my first build. My aim is realistic and weathered - not sure at all on paints to use, colours, the bit about painting it with something after the colour painting is complete and also after the decals (and also tying this in with weathering) - not sure about id I should use Matt or Enamel but personally prefer a matt colour. What i'd like is info if anyone has built this model, what type of paint and colours, what other kit I should buy in advance such as liquid plastic cement, glue, brush sizes. - Oh yeah, the other thing is that it will be brush painted. The shop wont let me open the box unless i'm buying so dont even have access to colour chart. Thanks very much!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I did a quick google of this model and found the following sites, reviews and builds with completed kit photos.

That will give you some idea of what you need.

I would recommend Vallejo Model Colour acrylics for paints available from the forum's shop as they are great for brush painting. There is plenty of advice in threads on the site for what you will need and what to do and if you have specific questions there are plenty of people who will answer them. Take it slowly read threads, see what people do and build up you list of wants from that. The basics being a sharp knife, files/sanding paper or sponges, no1 brush and one or two smaller and perhaps one bigger. The plastic weld thin cement is good, available on this site plus super-glue and pva glue. I suggest Vallejo paint thinner for their paint and their primer. You will need filler too though hopefully not too much, the Vallejo is good as well and available here. For weathering there are a wide range of options and way to approach it and by reading various threads on here you can woprk out what may work best for you. Hope that helps.

[/url][/url][/url]

A

andygh

Hello & welcome to the board

Your kit gets a good review here Academy 1/72 Boeing B-17F Flying Fortress 'Memphis Belle'

Can't find the Academy plans but here are the Revell ones with colour call-up, it may give you some idea http://manuals.hobbico.com/rvl/80-4297.pdf

Hope this helps a little

D

Deisenaut

thanks for the help - will post up my progress as it goes along!

D

Deisenaut

Just an update, got my model yesterday as family going away for Christmas, anyway, it's a Revell B-17F 1:48, hopefully it'll all come together well. Off to get about 20 pots of paint tomorrow - expensive shop!

First Name
Dave
I built that one a coule of years ago.An old moulding but can be made into a nice model.Not the best kit for a first model,butget stuck in and give it a go.Oh,and you will definately need some filler!.

First Name
Drew
A B-17 for a first build and 1/48 too (must be a pretty big beast)? Good luck with that.

I look forward to seeing the updates.

Oh, welcome to the forum too. I'm sure there are quite a few folk on here have built that one so you should have plenty of people here to offer advice.

D

dubster72

Back in my youth, I built the Monogram 1/48 B-17 and this included a booklet by the brilliant Shep Payne, showing a dio he'd done. This was really my inspiration not only to make models, but to also have them looking realistic.

Have a look at this site http://shepherdpayne.atspace.com/b17g.htm to give you an idea of what's possible!

D

dubster72

Whoops! Typo alert! It should be HTTP://sheperdpaine.atspace.com/b17g.htm

Sorry!

D

Deisenaut

Im actually having a bit of a problem already if anyone could assist would be grateful. My model shop only stocks Humbrol, and I have the list of all required paints for the above (Revell) but cannot convert them all - i'm sure this is a regular occurance that I hadn't factored in, anyway I have gone through all conversion data I can find and am stuck on the following:

Revell 9 - Anthracite Grey Matt

Revell 76 - Light Grey Matt

Revell 39 - Dark Green Matt

and a trickier one - Revell 42 (90%) Yellow Olive Matt / Revell 15 (10%) Yellow Matt (which is Humbrol 24)

I found a good Revell site but the codes (German) are about 8 characters long per colour.

Thanks for advise!

A

andyrobs

Hi deisenaut, hope this helps a bit, according to my conversion chart, revell 9 = humbrol 32, 76 = 141, 39 = 30, 42 = 111, 15 = 154.

If you google revell/humbrol conversion charts you should be able to get a full list to use in the future.

Merry Christmas,

Andrew

B

Brickie

This is also your friend:

The Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart

D

Deisenaut

thanks - now that ive figured out the way that Revelll are numbering, it's made it easier to search - once christmas is over I can find myself some decent paints. Thanks AndyRobbs - those numbers look good - maybe #111 is end of lifed though.

D

Deisenaut

can i just run something by you guys. After painting with enamel,

trace joints with 2b pencil,

coat model with pledge ???,

put on decals with microsol and after their in place microset,

next mix acrylic dark grey with ??? thinner and paint everything,

allow half drying before cleaning off,

exhaust fumes with ???

and then coat with a matt finish

(drying time between each of these stages) -

does this sound about right and can someone fill in the blanks!

thanks very much

Last edited:
B

Brickie

The Pledge stuff is this:

It's previously known as Johnson's Klear, which is the name you'll hear it being referred to among modellers generally. The point of it is to give the model a glossy surface which makes the decals stick better. I tend to find it takes a couple of coats to get a good gloss over matt acrylics. Also, if you dip your transparent parts in this and set them to dry off on a paper towel or somesuch, it gives them a lovely shine and makes them look a bit thinner.

For exhaust stains, there are a number of schools of thought. Tamiya do a paint called "Smoke" which is a translucent grey colour which can be painted or drybrushed on, others suggest grinding up some black and grey pastels and brushing the resulting powder on lightly where needed, ideally doing this *after* you put the matt finish on but before it's fully dry/"cured".

Last edited:
D

Deisenaut

thanks! - does anyone use (or should i use) a base coat on models before applying colours indicated in instructions? - if so, should it be dark grey enamel?

First Name
Aaron
I just came across this...you mean primer.Primer comes in many colours i prefer tamiya white or grey primer.I dont personally use primer for aircraft.I prefer to pre shade in black for aircraft.If you have any issues with "klear" you can use any ammonia based cleaner to remove and for cleanups as well.I use windex.Let us know how your getting on mate...HTH

Aaron