COMPLETED 1/32 F4U-1D 'Corsair'

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Also interested Steve to find out how you produced the endings or connections on the aerial rigging. Looks very authentic. Just these details which can make a model look stand apart.Laurie
Hi Laurie. I make a loop and tail by twisting some very fine wire (from an old phone charger lead) around the shank of a small drill bit. I can then cut the tail to a suitable length and insert it into a small hole (as in leading edge of stabiliser) or splay the ends opposite the 'eye' and glue to either side of the aerial attachment post (as on fin) using a drop of CA glue.

In the case of the Corsair I covered the twisted wire bit in thinned white glue and painted it black to simulate what I can make out in reference photos. On other models I leave this twisted wire as it is to simulate the tensioner. The ceramic insulators are just white glue made up to a suitable thickness and then painted white.

The aerial wire is 0.5 Kg monofilament fishing line. I attached it to the fuselage entry point by drilling a small whole and using CA glue. Later a tiny blob of white glue represents the insulator here, and hides the hole. I then threaded it through the eye on the fin attachment and glued it in the eye of the stabiliser attachment. I try to get it reasonably taught, but it's never really tight. I tension the antenna by passing a hot spatula, carefully, under the fishing line.

Finally I paint the fishing line in an aluminium colour to make it look a bit like stainless steel.

It's nowhere near as difficult as it reads above! All you need is a good magnifier and a good pair of tweezers :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Agree with all, another outstanding build from you Steve.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I'm gob smacked Steve, this is one beautiful looking build mate.

Have fun, John

T

treyzx10r

Another quality build Steve it looks awesome! Very nicely done Sir!