COMPLETED AT LAST!!....Dragon 1/6 MG42 with tripod...

N

noble

Hi Ron just found this, very nice indeed lots of detail kinda what you'd expect from 1/6, lovely build so far ron.

scott

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've not seen any posts from young Ron recently so I guess he's swanning about the countryside with Justine again!

But, just as a matter of interest, I don't remember seeing this finished and Ron's last post on it was over a year ago?

Gern

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
just gone through your thread and wow love it i want one at least you have got this gun as reference when you build a small one and love how you can change the barrel top stuff look forward to seeing this with paint on

First Name
Gregg
I too have just found this, and amazed at how intricately detailed it is, any updates on it!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry, I forgot to put the end result in completed, so I've had to alter the thread title..Perhaps admin. can sort it for me.....

This has been sat on the shelf looking at me ready for painting for coming on 3 years, so I've finally finished it!

It's the Dragon 1/6th MG 42, complete with tripod.

Brush painted with Vallejo Model Colour and Model Air. The detail and ammo belt were done with enamels.

The only weathering was done with a pencil.

Here is the brute on it's tripod, complete with carrying straps....

View attachment 105842

The two pads are back supports when the tripod is folded down. After a couple of goes, I made this fixed, as it is far too delicate to keep folding and would surely break.

View attachment 105843

View attachment 105844

Complicated, or what?!

View attachment 105848

View attachment 105849

View attachment 105850

View attachment 105851

View attachment 105852

View attachment 105853

View attachment 105854

Here's the machine gun on it's own, complete with carry strap....

View attachment 105855

Sunbathing!

View attachment 105856

A few in natural light...

View attachment 105857

View attachment 105858

View attachment 105859

View attachment 105860

View attachment 105861

View attachment 105862

Here is the MG in my hand to give you an idea of scale....

View attachment 105863

And finally.........A present for ma back home!

View attachment 105864

Sorry it's taken so long to finish...almost 3 years. That must be some sort of record for so small a kit!!

I hope you like the final result and thank's for your patience!

Cheers,

Ron

mg42 028.jpg

mg42 032.jpg

mg42 033.jpg

mg42 035.jpg

mg42 039.jpg

mg42 042.jpg

mg42 043.jpg

mg42 044.jpg

mg42 082.jpg

mg42 045.jpg

mg42 054.jpg

mg42 007.jpg

mg42 057.jpg

mg42 061.jpg

mg42 071.jpg

mg42 073.jpg

mg42 076.jpg

mg42 080.jpg

mg42 081.jpg

mg42 063.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It may have been a while in the completing Ron but it looks so real in some of the photos a great job well done mate

Is it going to Cosford ?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ian, I'm glad you like the finished MG. Perhaps it will stop staring at me now!

...Is it going to Cosford? I haven't given any thought to it really.

J

John Rixon

Fantastic job! Flawless paint work, and interesting subject! Top marks.

First Name
Gregg
WOW! can't say any more that would be adequate.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That looks so cool ron it's different I'll keep an eye for one of those at shows :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your excellent comments on my MG 42 gents. I'm glad the model is finally finished and no longer sits sulking at the back of the shelf!

Cheers all,

Ron

B

Bunkerbarge

There are endless diorama possibilities with the Dragon figures and accessories. It may be complicated but I strongly suspect that a well handled one of these could hold a hill very effectively against large numbers. The Germans don't engineer anything for the fun of it, they engineer things to make them very effective.

Lovely model Ron, great finish and plenty of 'presence' on the shelf.

K

Keithmayes

That looks so complicated and I know when you have finished painting it it will look amazing. Makes a very interesting change, something a little different.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
That looks so complicated and I know when you have finished painting it it will look amazing. Makes a very interesting change, something a little different.
Keith, I thought I had finished it. What have I missed, so I can rectify it post haste?

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Keith, I thought I had finished it. What have I missed, so I can rectify it post haste?
That's weird, when I posted my comment I never noticed the finished pics. I think it's because I took a call then posted my message latter. Must have been something like that, or another one of those damn senior moments. It looks great, honest!

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Hi all, here is the finished and primed MG42......and sat on it's tripod.
Quite straight forward considering the loads of working bits. The cocking handle opens, closes and slides along the weapon on a return spring. The top hinges to reveal the breach and there is a mechanism that when opened slides out the replacable barrel.

The bipod folds and clicks under the weapon. Strange thing though, the weapon can't be placed on the tripod with the bipod snapped closed! Also when the MG is on the tripod, the trigger is tucked in meaning the gunner has to weave his hands through the tripod bits and bobs to get at it.....

The MG justs rests on the tripod and is not fixed in any way. This seems daft to me......I have a load of unmentioned bits still left, perhaps these are some sort of clip arrangement? I'll have to have a second look next week some time.

So here are some pictures of the finished MG42 sat on it's tripod....Next will be the two ammo drums, a spare barrel and the ammo belt, then the painting.

Cheers all,

Ron
This is an awesome kit and I'm drooling to get one!! Pray tell where

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Richard and yes, it is a fine piece of complicated German engineering...ask me how I know!!

Keith - Ah, yes, the senior moment. I am quite used to them. I just hope I can remember how to get to Cosford this w/end!

Robert - I won mine on Eebeegeebee bay......3 years ago. Why not send John here at the S.M. Shop a message, to see if he can get one for you?

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Aaron
I have this in 1/35 awesome kit.

I really like what you've done with this Ron. Fantastic build mate.

Fine wine takes a while.