Completed Dave's PRU XIX Spitfire (Airfix 1/48th)

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
This is now completed and on time.  I have deliberately kept the weathering light.  The aircraft is pictured just before the last ever operational sortie by a spitfire over Malaya on the 10th June 1957.  From my research I gather the name "The Last!" was painted on the aircraft before the final sortie.

Reasonably happy with this although something went a little awry with the canopy, in reality it is slightly cloudy but in these photos it looks like frosted glass unfortunately.

IMG_0809.JPGIMG_0811.JPGIMG_0815.JPGIMG_0818.JPGIMG_0820.JPGIMG_0797.JPGIMG_0801.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Robert
Wow Dave I mean wow 

I have built the same kit but nothing in comparison to yours.

this looks brilliant ( truly stunning 

kind regards 

Robert 

First Name
Mike
Lovely model Dave, the finish looks really nice 
thumbs.png
 Did you flat coat over the canopy? If so you may be able to remove it with some thinners on a cotton bud, followed by carefully applying Future with a brush.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great build Dave. A shame about the canopy, but it doesn't detract too much from what is otherwise a fantastic result.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Actually Dave, the canopy doesn't look too bad on closer inspection. Did you use model glue or super glue to fix it? That may have caused the frosting. I use white glue (PVA) on mine, it prevents frosting and provides a good filling agent for those pesky gaps between the canopy edge and the fuselage, as you can simply smooth it with a moistened cotton bud tip.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Lovely model Dave, the finish looks really nice 
thumbs.png
 Did you flat coat over the canopy? If so you may be able to remove it with some thinners on a cotton bud, followed by carefully applying Future with a brush.

I was thinking of trying that! The canopy was protected for the flat coat but only loosely so some overspray may have occurred.

Wow Dave I mean wow 

I have built the same kit but nothing in comparison to yours.

this looks brilliant ( truly stunning 

kind regards 

Robert 

Thanks for the kind words, but I have a long way to go yet.

Great build Dave. A shame about the canopy, but it doesn't detract too much from what is otherwise a fantastic result.

Thanks Joe, as said above I may have a go at a little very careful remedial work on the canopy.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
She looks great Dave. But just have a look at the undercarriage again.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely looking spit dave , the colours and finish are spot on. Im sure the canopy will clean up with a bit of thinners and a cotton bud as mike says. cheers tony

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
She looks great Dave. But just have a look at the undercarriage again.

I have done  :o , I cannot believe I did that, undercarriage now swapped around after a bit of work.