Completed. Dog Green Omaha Beach...2nd phase.The Assault.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
O.K. chaps, here is my interpretation of 'The Assault'

As you might have seen from my build thread, this diorama started life as a 6"x9" polystyrene plant tray!

I hacked it about to form the bunker, then spread on my usual adhesive. I then added sand and foliage. The bunker reinforcing bars are made from thick electric cable. The door and frame and steps are made from scrap balsa and the barbed wire from thin multi core cable. The posts are cocktail sticks. I added more rubble to the bunker using hard adhesive, broken up and sprinkled over the structure. Dio. cost? Nothing!

The figures, which I already had, are 1/35 Tamiya. I was lucky, I only had to alter two, the one coming up the steps and the one wounded with his hand up. I didn't see the point in showing the alteration process as it's been well documented elsewhere. I took off most of their equipment as well. I then sprinkled the 3 figures with cement dust.

Please note Scale Model's Badge...The bucket!!! lol

I have tried to show the bunker semi destroyed and the occupants coming out dazed and in shock.

I hope you approve of this offering and all comments and suggestions are welcome.

I have gone easy on the amount of pictures this time too!

Thanks for looking,

Ron

Sorry, just noticed a bit of repetition in the pictures....

View attachment 31013

View attachment 31014

View attachment 31015

View attachment 31016

View attachment 31017

View attachment 31018

View attachment 31019

View attachment 31020

View attachment 31021

View attachment 31022

View attachment 31023

View attachment 31024

View attachment 31025

Omaha 'Assault' 032.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 043.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 031.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 039.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 037.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 045.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 050.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 041.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 026.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 030.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 048.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 029.jpg

Omaha 'Assault' 027.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JFJ

Ron just where do you get your plants from? They look like the real plants and not clump foliage!

Brilliant job anyway. *****

Adrian

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Excellent job yet again Ron

G

Greg147

Excellent work Ron, resourceful as always. The concrete has come out nicely, and you've captured the scene well. I like the figure poses as well, especially the guy weakly brandishing his make-shift white flag. If you were to push me to find a critisim, I think the only thing I'd be able to point out is the white/grey ground cover underneath the bushes; might have looked more natural as mud or sand. I only mention that because it caught my attention at the bottom of the first picture ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys, glad you like it..

Adrian, all green stuff is from my garden.

Greg, missed that! The white stuff at the bottom of the picture is actually the polystyrene edge of the plant tray. I didn't quite cover it did I ? B****r!

Must crop pickies in future....

Cheers,

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Excellent again Ron,you've really got a knack for capturing these scenes.

The chap coming out before his mate with the white flag is either brave or foolhardy!

Cheers

Steve

D

dm73

Awesome stuff once again young Ron, i keep looking through this and your older photos for inspiration for my builds, you always seem to catch the moment spot on. *****

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ron mate ,youve done it again! Excellent scene , brilliant scratchbuilding ,great storytelling and atmosphere, and to top it all a bucket too!! My favourite bit is the poor soul holding his head in his hands , he really looks like hes distraught, hopefully hell have a more comfortable time in an allied POW camp and eventually be re united with his family. See, thats what your dios do--its that real, im imagining whats going to happen next!!! Brilliant stuff! cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You did it again ja bugger! Thats a top job there.

As someone has already awarded you with the well deserved five stars, I will just have to award you five Blue Peter badges instead!

That mossy patch in your garden must be getting a bit thin by now Ron. It really does make first class bushes!!

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you all for the very nice compliments, highly amusing reading and the 'Big 5'. All good stuff....

Steve, the bloke out of the bunker had a bit of bad luck. He had a bit of a stiff night out on cheap French wine and around 7.00am June 6th, he decided to go out for a pee. A lucky shell hit his bunker and a bit of concrete hit his shoulder and the concussion from the explosion knocked him out. When he came to, the Americans were at the wire...."Kamerad, nicht schissen." or summat like that!

Darren, that's what this forum is all about...Getting inspiration from each other.

Thanks to Tony and Ian. Don't worry Ian, there's loads more greenery left to go at.....I wish it would grow as good on the top of my head!!

Cheers all,

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Every time you build one of these little dios it seems better than the last one! This is wonderful - again! *****

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your nice comments.

Off thread a bit...will we be seeing you again at Telford on the !0th April?

Ron

S

Sky Raider

Nice work Ron, makes a good scene, one that actually tells a story without trying to hard to read into it. Well done.

Andy

R

rogue-one

fantastic, top stuff ron! another cracker. like everyone's saying, the wee guy with the white flag is great. did u have to make up the top of the head for shocked guy (with his hands on his head)? and do his hair? i'm guessing he started with a flat head like most figures. good job.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your nice comments.Off thread a bit...will we be seeing you again at Telford on the !0th April?

Ron
Hope so! I'm working on it.

Gern

I

It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

Lovely little diorama from the simplest of materials and it didn't take six months to complete (6 years in my case)! I'll have to try the barbed wire trick, it'll be a whole lot cheaper than photo-etch.

Andy