Completed Fw 190 D-9 1/32

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The scene is early on the morning of January 1st 1945. We are at Furstenau airfield where no less than 68 Fw 190 D-9s are standing ready for the pilots of JG 26 and JG 54.

The plan is for two Ju 88 “Lotse”, pathfinders, to take off first. These will lead the fighters as far as the front lines where each Jagdgeschwader’s own officers will take over for the final leg of the flight to their objectives.

21 year old Obergefreiter Dieter Kragelow was assigned to 3./JG 26 in November and this will be his fifth operational flight.

As a member of the third Staffel he is to be in the second wave to take off under the command of Oberleutnant Alfred Heckmann, whose Rottenflieger (wing man) he will be. They will follow following the Stab I./JG 26.

Things go wrong for Kragelow from the start. The two Ju 88 “Lotse” take off at 0831 followed by the Stab I./JG 26 and 3./JG 26. Kragelow’s brand new Fw 190 D-9, Yellow 13, still with the delivery number painted on the rudder will not start.

This is the moment in time I have tried to capture. Kragelow gesticulates as he realises his engine will not start.

The rest is a little bit of history for those interested!

Eventually 64 aircraft manage to get airborne, the last is that of Theo Nibel who will famously be downed by a bird strike, delivering his almost intact Dora to the British.

Eventually everyone forms up and sets course at an altitude of 20-40 metres, behind the Ju 88s for the first turning point at Spakenburg. At 0850 the formation turns towards Rotterdam and is heavily engaged by German Flak, sustaining several casualties before the next turning point at Schiedam.

At about 0910 the formation approaches the front line. The two Ju 88s turn for home. As the Doras cross the front line a wall of AAA opens up, this time allied. More aircraft are shot down but the rest continue over the Scheldt estuary. Now British naval artillery opens fire with their 40mm Bofors guns. Coastal batteries join in and more aircraft are hit. Alfred Heckmann, Kragelow’s Staffelkapitan is one of the first hit. He turns back towards Furstenau. Kragelow is next to be hit.

In his words:

“Over the Scheldt estuary we ran into some British naval vessels and they opened up a fierce AAA barrage. My machine was hit several times. When we continued on course, I noticed that the engine no longer gave the RPMs it should and I decided to make an emergency landing. I was already to low for bailing out. The flaps would not move so I came in at high speed. The contact with the ground was heavy. The belts had broken and I crashed with my head against the cockpit panel. My spinal chord had been broken and my legs were stuck. I woke up after I was carried out of the wreckage and a doctor treated me.”

Dieter Kragelow is a lucky man. He is taken to hospital in Ghent and then to the UK. Happily he will make a full recovery. He will return to his home town of Saarbrucken after the war and become an architect.

Had he not been shot down and survived on that fateful day, his chances of surviving the war would have been slim indeed.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A great build and paint job. Also great photos by the way.

It may be a bit late now you have put the camera away, but any chance of a shot from a bit higher up, I would love to see the whole aircraft from above.

It sounds as if there was some one watching over him that day, first with the motor refusing to start, then surviving that crash. An interesting read. Thank you.

Very nice indeed. I do like the 190's. What would be a good one to park with a Spitfire IX....(Belgium 1944).

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here you go.

For a 1944 Fw 190 I'd go with an A-6 or later. The A-8 started arriving early summer '44.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Beautifully done as always Steve.

Gern

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers Steve. I'll have a look into that.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb build as always steve, and a fascinating story too. The Dora always looks really good in the large scales , did i read somewhere that Trumpeter are doing a 1/24 one? , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Fantastic build Steve, and once again, very interesting background information on the aircraft and pilot. Top build.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Another great build Steve and I really like all the information about the day/plane and pilot Here's to the next build

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
That is a brilliant build Steve, as always - Love the history and background you provide.

First Name
Dave
Another nice build for your collection.The History is always interesting to read.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, top job in every way and a great bit of history too.

Thanks for posting both!

Ron

B

BigZimmo

Hi Steve!!!

Really good job, it's a nice "Dora" and an interesting history lesson.

Cheers

Stefan:smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I saw this pop up again and just wanted to say thanks for all the nice comments. They are very much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Steve another awesome build and great history to go with it! Adding the personal history of the Pilot involved really adds so much ,thanks for taking the time to share it! Very nicely done Sir,5star

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks like I missed this first time around. Very nice model there Steve.