Completed (I guess?!?!) Italeri 1/72 AC-130 Spectre

P

phikoleoputra

Hi awesome people,

Thought wanna share this, my first time attempt making a diorama, so be gentle now lol. Bought the kit online, and i thought it's gonna be small, but i was wrong and it's a huge kit. The plane built was not easy as it's really big for me, it took me about 4 months to complete the Spectre, and i wasn't particularly proud with the plane build, so i thought let's put some 1/72 ground crew, it's challenging to paint them to be honest. Well, i still waiting for some more stuff to put in the diorama (waiting anxiously for the postman to arrive), and the base markings still not complete.

Maybe you guys can give me ideas or comment or critics to improve this diorama will be greatly appreciated. Thanksss!!!

Cheers,

Leo

View attachment 80997

View attachment 80998

View attachment 80999

View attachment 81000

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

W

Willi262

At first I wasn't sure about the styrofoam base, but when I let my eyes wander, It kind of takes on the appearance of wet/raining concrete.

If you can set up some rainy sky backdrops behind your plane, I think you will have nailed that effect...

P

phikoleoputra

\ said:
At first I wasn't sure about the styrofoam base, but when I let my eyes wander, It kind of takes on the appearance of wet/raining concrete.If you can set up some rainy sky backdrops behind your plane, I think you will have nailed that effect...
Thanks for the advice Steve, i will try that!! Or should i just change the base entirely, what's the best material to make the base?

Cheers

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I know what it's like painting 1/72 figures it's not easy but I think you've nailed it with those :smiling3:

The aircraft is very well done I like the subtle weathering and its very well built,

Just a couple of points when you finish the dio it will look more natural if you cut the bases off the figures and if you use wet and dry sandpaper for the tarmac this will also look more natural

But none the less your off to a great start and I like this a lot :smiling3:

W

Willi262

Sadly, I am not much when it comes to putting these planes out on display, I'm not really sure what you could use as an alternative to represent the tarmac or airfield to styrofoam...

P

phikoleoputra

\ said:
I know what it's like painting 1/72 figures it's not easy but I think you've nailed it with those :smiling3: The aircraft is very well done I like the subtle weathering and its very well built,

Just a couple of points when you finish the dio it will look more natural if you cut the bases off the figures and if you use wet and dry sandpaper for the tarmac this will also look more natural

But none the less your off to a great start and I like this a lot :smiling3:
Thanks Alan for the advice, i'll try the the sandpaper as a base and i'll cut off the base of the figures.

D

dubster72

I think the model itself is great, very well made & realistic. The base I'm not so sure about!

What was the kit like to build Leo? It would be cool to do one 'in flight ' with leds representing the cannons!

Cheers

Patrick

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great looking Spectre Leo! I love this aircraft its such a beast . As Alan says fine grade wet and dry sandpaper can be a great tarmac base or if you spray it light grey , concrete . cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Leo, nothing more to add from what has already been said. I think your Spectre is very nicely done.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Agree with what the guys have already said about the base, but you surely nailed the 'plane!

Gern

P

phikoleoputra

Thanks all for the advices and comments, i'll try to look for sandpaper today and see what i can do about it.

@patrick: if u mean building the kit, the main difficulty i found was the size of the fueselage and interior wise it was a misfit, but overall it was a decent kit.

P

phikoleoputra

Happy easter people,

Just want to update the base. I revised the whole thing and used cardboard as my tarmac on a piece of mrc board. I weathered the whole thing. And this is what it looks like. I'm gonna add some grass on the side to make it less boring. Any comments are welcome

View attachment 81074

image.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks great Leo, nicely weathered, cheers tony

0ne48thtel

Leo here is my f-15 on wet and dry painted to look like concrete. it does a good job and adds texture with no effort. http://scale-models.co.uk/threads/f-15e-dio.20021/

P

phikoleoputra

\ said:
Leo here is my f-15 on wet and dry painted to look like concrete. it does a good job and adds texture with no effort. http://scale-models.co.uk/threads/f-15e-dio.20021/
Hi Terry,

What did you use for the concrete? Looks awesome.

0ne48thtel

wet n dry paper sprayed with Dulux soft stone. It was then weathered with pencil crayon and diluted black paint for the tyre marks.