Completed Ju-88

W

Willi262

Finished this one the other day. It wears the markings of the KG51 "edelweiss" unit.

Not a bad build for minicraft, I am not so familiar with them as a kit maker, but I wanted a Ju88 for the tabletop luftwaffe. There was a lot of extra filing and trimming to get the engine cowl and propeller assembly in place, and the body frame has a bad twist that I did not notice until the elevator assembly went on. I picked this one up about a week or so ago, but was kind of keeping it quiet, until now... (and thank you for your time and attention)

View attachment 73064

View attachment 73065

View attachment 73066

View attachment 73067

View attachment 73068

View attachment 73069

View attachment 73070

View attachment 73071

ju881a.JPG

ju881b.JPG

ju881d.JPG

88backdrop.JPG

ju88boxshot.JPG

88sizecomp1.JPG

ju262144c.JPG

ju262144d.JPG

Last edited:
W

Willi262

It needs a little touch up here and there, but it's not terribly well molded I have noticed. Once again I found the kit that had the wonky body. :sigh:

I "preshaded" the interior canopy lines but i wasn't feeling so well that morning and the color i wanted on the outside would not stick very well, so i went to my alternate of "rlm-22). and my impatience to be done with it is clearly noticeable. I observed from the underside view that if the pilot tried to retract the landing gear, there would not be enough room. ie. the kit did not accurately mold the gear assembly. I think they were expecting the 'in flight version' to be built, where the too small wheelwells would not be noticed.

I am most pleased with the yellow line that i managed to paint around the tail. The painting guide shows it, but the box picture does not. Also the camo scheme is different from the box to the instruction sheet. I got mixed up part way through lol! typical of me. I would warn others about this kit, as I said, I am not very familiar with "minicraft", but I am learning...

Next on the dock is me to finish the next round of 48 scale crew members, then possibly the kettenkraftrad and power unit (with it's own selection of crew). But since payday is when I wake up (as of this writing it is 0204 calgary time) and i have yet to "listen to the pillow" as it were, I have my eye on a 32 scale 262, but it requires a trip to the shop first. I am turning into what i feared, and am snapping up kits whenever I can.

M

mobear

its so little lol,good job on wrestling it into a plane

mobear

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cracking little build I like it.

Was it that or was it the dornia do 17 that was nicknamed the flying pencil ?

I get confused ! It must be an age thing

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice job steve , ive not done anything by minicraft either , yet!! cheers tony

W

Willi262

\ said:
Nice job steve , ive not done anything by minicraft either , yet!! cheers tony
Thanks Tony!

I don't think I will choose anything by "Minicraft" again. I only really got it because it was 14$ (or about 6.50 £) and it was the only 144 scale WW2 aircraft (of any kind) left on the shelf. The one thing I did like was the paucity of decals. I *hate* putting on decals.

W

Willi262

\ said:
Cracking little build I like it.Was it that or was it the dornia do 17 that was nicknamed the flying pencil ?

I get confused ! It must be an age thing
The Dornier 17 was known as "the flying pencil". The Ju-88 design was heavily borrowed from the Do-17, but they had fixed up a few of its flaws. But at the same time, the Ju-88 was not exactly the best thing in the skies.

Such is war.

I believe that the Soviets at the time also referred to the Me-109 as 'the flying pencil', because of it's skinny fuselage. (but i could be wrong about that).

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
The Dornier 17 was known as "the flying pencil". The Ju-88 design was heavily borrowed from the Do-17, but they had fixed up a few of its flaws. But at the same time, the Ju-88 was not exactly the best thing in the skies. Such is war.

I believe that the Soviets at the time also referred to the Me-109 as 'the flying pencil', because of it's skinny fuselage. (but i could be wrong about that).
Thanks for that mate your right they were similar , I never new that about the 109 though

W

Willi262

The Ju-88 kit was also very scant in detail.

The 262 has a bit more, with the open (or closed) gun bay, bombs, tractor, and even cockpit. There's not much, a seat, control stick, a few bumps to represent extra controls, and that's it. But it's there.

The Ju-88 has nothing. It's a wasteland of detail. That's why I painted the nose bubble over. There was A. no definition to it and B. there was nothing behind it. I did some research on the 88 and there were versions that had a solid nose, rather than the glass. Hooray!! solid nose it is!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That looks pretty good to me. Is it just an oversight you seem to have left the masking on the nosepiece?

Gern

W

Willi262

\ said:
That looks pretty good to me. Is it just an oversight you seem to have left the masking on the nosepiece?Gern
I don't mask my windows like a good modeller should :sad: , the nose bubble I painted over deliberately because there were no details worth revealing. I checked out some info about the Ju-88 online and it seems there were versions of this plane with solid nose in place of the glass. I painted it over just to make it easy on myself.

W

Willi262

I found I liked it (working in 144) more than I thought I would. Thanks to "Yak face" Tony!

Last edited: