Completed....'The Hole in the Doughnut.' Bastogne. Christmas 1944...Completed

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The American Forces in Bastogne are surrounded and outnumbered by elements of the German Army.

A few Sherman tanks have survived and helped form a very thin perimeter around the town.
This one has found a neat little corner. The crew have thrown some tarps and sheets over their tank to help concealment.......The first snow has fallen, and having flattened a section of fence, the crew wait, grim faced in their tank, their gun facing the direction of the expected attack.

P1170187.JPG

P1170188.JPG

P1170190.JPG

P1170189.JPG

P1170193.JPG

P1170192.JPG

P1170197.JPG

P1170195.JPG

Rock hard ground....No sinky in!
P1170201.JPG

P1170199.JPG

The crew couldn't find any barbed wire to block the footpath, so they used some fence wire they found in the shed!.....Me thinks that's a sublime act of wiggling off any potential hook!
P1170202.JPG

P1170198.JPG

P1170203.JPG

I hope you approve of my attempt at a corner of Bastogne.
The tank might not be accurate for the time, but it's the only one I have. I build just for fun anyway....;)

Cheers all and thanks for looking.

Ron

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
How dare you not do a full accurate presentation Ronald-Mcbuilder!

Back to the seriousness...outstanding build and once again the pictures help to tell the story, looks very cold and slightly daunting...almost the quiet before the storm. Another quality build and finish, thanks Ron.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Si. Glad you like the finished job. Sorry for the indecent haste, but I'm in a bit of a hurry........Jolly Jays are a'coming on fast!

There is a part build thread - of sorts. Then I truly forgot about the project until this morning, so I hurriedly gathered together the stuff required and hit the thing running. No time for fiddling. The trees, tank sheeting and snow were all done in a couple of hours.......

I'm sure dioramererers would agree, sometimes it's best to lash stuff on, rather than sit, ponder and fart about. This time I guess I got lucky!

Cheers,
Ron

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Simple, to the point and photographed beautifully.....Great work as usual Ron:cool:..........Jim:smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I wondered what had happened to this. Luck or skill doesn't matter, this is another cracking piece!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Colin, Jim and Dave. Thanks for your positive comments.
I would like to have spent a bit more time on the model, but needs must - and all that.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It is very good and very moody. I can feel the cold and the tension.

M

MrGotty

A fantastic build mate, can really feel the cold and the tension, its like you're part of the crew haha

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not bad for a throw together Ron.
Fantastic really, i really like the snow effect and the photography is just outstanding.
I hope you also enjoy the Jolly Jays.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Colin, Scott and Ian.
Thanks for your comments. I'm chuffed you all like the 'cold' effect and the snow.

Thanks Ian.......Now, where's my suitcase? - well, rucksack anyway!

D

Doug Hughes

Great idea, Ron, and it's really come out well. The atmosphere is very strong, and the photos are brilliant - I particularly like the dramatic sky in the second one.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Doug. glad you like the model and the photos.

I know I've harped on about taking pictures of our stuff before now, but it really helps giving the composition a little thought.
We spend hours making models as best we can, then sometimes rush the presentation for the sake of a few minutes trying to get the final pictures something like.

Thanks again,
Ron

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great job Ron, I particularly like the tarpaulins on the tank and the snow effect. Nicely photographed as has been said already, and i agree with your comments about presentation. Particularly important when you've gone to the effort of creating a diorama scene such as this.

First Name
Stuart
I think its a fantastic build Ron
great weathering and placement,and the pictures are taken beautifully which helps set the scene

T

Trekkie_John

Crackin' build Ron mate, nice to see the plowed field (wink, wink).

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Joe, I reckon even a stand alone model, no matter how modest, deserves to be photographed at it's best.

Thanks Stuart and John........Well spotted John!

Cheers,
Ron

B

Builder

Superb job Ron. Great idea and very well executed. Love the snow and tarps. Excellent work mate.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers Bob, I'm chuffed you like it, and thanks for the compliments.

Ron