CR 0.3mm Kit Tutorial

F

Fenlander

Well, thanks to this tutorial and the fine service offered by the Forum Shop, cheers John, I have now finished converting my Iwata CR into the .3 as above. Still to try it out but this tutorial has been invaluable in doing the hardware bit, many thanks again Rick

R

RickBrown

m1ks I'm running it at about 15-17 psi, I'll drop it down a bit now, thanks for the tip! I'm just about to do the Klear after dinner, I'll spray that too and see how it goes.

Graham, as you may have gathered from previous post there's a chance that you can get 0.3mm needles from a third party Co that are the same diameter as the Iwata 0.5mm. This would make it much easier to swap between the two. Mind you, since I queried their quoted spec they haven't come back to me! Lol, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. If all is true I'll get one at the end of the month and see how it goes.

One thing I did do chaps was polish the needles with Brasso, this has made them much easier to clean, they look nice and shiny too! Mmmm, shiny..... !

Rick.

R

RickBrown

nearly forgot m1ks, I've borrowed another set of micrometers and they confirm that the 0.5 needle has a shaft of 1.4mm and the 0.3 has one of 1.2 ish (cant remember exactly, had too much coffee since measuring!).

M

m1ks

If it doesn't work for you then you can always jiggle the presure about a bit, I intially started with about 15PSI myself but found when thinned to roughly milk consistency, (I don't measure now, just mix in a pot by eye then decant into the cup), that it did either one or the other, (dry or flood), don't take my settings as gospel, i've heard of some modellers spraying acryl at 40PSI, (I was surprised too), I guess much depends on the thickness of the paint.

Still not ventured out BTW, got a roaring fire going, sitting enjoying a cold beer and watching Scooby Doo and the loch ness monster with my wee boy, (he made me, honest) :smiling3:

I haven't been entirely idle, i've been modelling a polar bear and his winter hideout for the wee fella's homework, me and the missis have been having bags of fun.

Mike

F

Fenlander

One thing to watch with third party needles is that they may be the right thickness but are they the right angle of taper to match the nozzle? If not, the needle could end up damaging the nozzle after time as it will not seat properly.

F

Fenlander

Right, have finally managed to get into the shed and have a play with the Iwata CR .3mm. Wow, it has now become the airbrush I dreamed of. The ability to make fine lines, I even managed a bit of writing with it, is vastly different. I hoped that the small change from .5 to .3 would go a long way towards giving me the control I want. To say it has done this a bit is an understatement. In the short time I have had a play with it, the difference is amazing. Anyone who has a CR, do the decent thing and give it the nozzle set it deserves.

R

RickBrown

Good point about the nozzle Graham, I'll investigate further.

I ran the Klear through it last night, its the first time through this brush, and I think it was hard work compared to hand painting it! Guess I'll give that a miss in future!

I may pop to Telford today and grab some MA to try. Temptation is great though, I do need a compressor, the owner of my borrowed one is moaning now!

Right, Glad Rags on for Parade, cya Chaps.

Rick.

M

m1ks

You can get a decent sompact silent model on ebay for under £100, the one I got with my original airbrushes is just great, the only thing I'd do differentlt is buy one with a tank now just to maintain more air and minimise the the on/off nature and heating though i've done protracted spraying and gotten mine quite hot without the thermal cutout kicking in yet.

e.g. SprayMaster Deluxe Airbrush Compressor Air Brush AC18B on eBay (end time 28-Nov-10 08:45:15 GMT)

M

msm2

That is a bargain for the compressor,same one were being sold at Telford for £100. I did buy a Spraymaster AB 135 with 0.2, 0.3 and 0.5 nozzle and needle setup.

Tony..

R

RickBrown

Thats the very one I've borrowed. I find its pretty good, the one I want is the same beast with a tank.

Interesting to note on the Telford prices, I'm glad I didn't go!

All noted on your post yesterday Mike, kids, you gotta love um! I've a back log of model railway buildings to build and paint for my Lad.. Mind you, I'm fed up of camo stuff now, good time for a change.

Rick.

W

Woderwick

Just like to say thanks VM for the CR + .3 tips. I got mine from John a few weeks ago with a .3 kit and started using it last 2 weeks.

I used Tamiya Acryl at 10 PSI and I agree the control would make a Jedi Green, so I echo the sentiments above.

I apologise for a rubbish pic as the flash has mullered it, but what I am trying to show is that this N guage (tiny) loco has all the parts here shown sprayed with the CR. It is possible to make out the grills tho and the maker's info on the fuel tank top right. I'll post elsewhere when finished (i'll take the pic outside). Thanks agin for the mine of info.

Best wishes

Rod

R

RickBrown

Looking good Rod! Funnily enough, I may be doing some N gauge stuff for my Father-in-Law soon and the brush will get a good using. I was thinking of weathering his track with the CR and maybe a bit of his goods stock. I've just set him up in N, he's down sized from OO and I passed on all my stuff from when I was a kid in the late 70's. I ramble on............

B

Buttonman

Hi thanks for the demo, could i use silicon grease instead of bee's wax? and silicon spray to lubricate?

When you put the needle chuck back in do you push the needle all the way home into the nozzle? sorry for the daft question, i'm getting the full kit from John after chrismas and don't wont to damage a brand new AB. On the back of my badger 200 is a needle chuck and adjuster screw is it the same? I know on the Iwata you use the trigger to control eveything. Also why doesn't John sell the .3 packing with the kit?

Cheers

Martin

PS; sorry for the blathering question just wont to get it right

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
Also why doesn't John sell the .3 packing with the kit?
Because it's not needed you can tighten the screw up enough without the need for another one and I don't think it's available as a spare part, I never needed to change mine

R

RickBrown

Hi chaps!

I wouldn't recommend silicon grease, it gets everywhere and I've heard (not sure where) that silicon can damage various bits in the brush(?). Someone else may be able to give a better answer on that topic. Bees wax is the way to go for the cap etc and SuperLube for the needle, dead cheap too and will last for years.

When you put the brush back together you push the needle all the way into the nozzle (you can feel it just touch the end) then tighten the chuck. There's no need for an adjuster.

As for the packing you can use what's already in the brush and, as John says, just nip it up until the needle is a snug fit. I did actually buy another 0.5mm packing piece so I could go back to a 0.5mm set-up (once you've nipped it up, it doesn't seem to like going back to 0.5mm) but have found that 0.3mm is fine for everything I do (1/72 A/C mainly).

I've never, for a moment, regretted buying my CR and John is great to deal with (Discount in the post :bow: ?)!

Hope that helps,

Rick.

Last edited: