Creating and painting of war dead

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
5) Adding color

Got some color down, remember to keep things dark and gritty , also subtle is the way to go, avoid bright colors as they don't look authentic.

Last pic shows my very first attempt at working with thin foam, new doors are open to me now and I will only improve I think ;)

100_6857.JPG

100_6850.JPG

100_6851.JPG

100_6849.JPG

100_6852.JPG

100_6854.JPG

100_6856.JPG

100_6858.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
they look great,Jim,very nice of you to give us a run through, :D

nice bit oof scratch work on the building as well,looks like depron your using,great stuff to work with, 9_9

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks guys and Monica, one thing to keep in mind is you should want your figures to stand up to close up pic scrutiny, I'm not completely satisfied but practice makes perfect ;)

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
they look great,Jim,very nice of you to give us a run through, :D

nice bit oof scratch work on the building as well,looks like depron your using,great stuff to work with, 9_9

Thanks Monica, as far as building front goes, I was just fiddling with a piece of what they call matte board here and realized the paper faces just peeled right off exposing perfectly smooth styro-foam sheet 1/4 inch thick. So I just started " drawing" on it with a plain old pencil. Embossing I think is a better description, and it just started to come to life almost on it's own! Man am I gonna have me some fun with this stuff!...Jim ;)

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Thanks Monica, as far as building front goes, I was just fiddling with a piece of what they call matte board here and realized the paper faces just peeled right off exposing perfectly smooth styro-foam sheet 1/4 inch thick. So I just started " drawing" on it with a plain old pencil. Embossing I think is a better description, and it just started to come to life almost on it's own! Man am I gonna have me some fun with this stuff!...Jim ;)

over hear they call it foam board,but people who make planes to fly use the depron,as it is lighter,

thats the same way I do it,use a gray lead pencil,and draw in the detail,great stuff, to use and unlike polystyrene,dose not have all the little balls, :D

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
This is a very informative thread kit it up Jim.

Thanks so much Ian, glad to have your comments, wish I had more time to devote to my hobby, but so many other things occupy my time that I find it very difficult to be as active as I wish to be. I have to pull a very large tractor apart to replace a damaged crank shaft and main pulley system along with bushings and bearings..oof! O.o ...this piece of equipment is much needed to keep our roads open in winter when the crippling snows set in.. sometimes I wish me and the Missus just lived in a nice retirement community and all I had to worry about was my next build....but what of the Clan?...13 strong including the grand kids in three separate homes of course...so please be patient with my delayed posts. I do promise to be as active as I can if only for my own mental pleasure for I do enjoy so much my modeling.

Winter is already making it's ominous hintings and we must be prepared for it's blows. Our logging has been on schedule for the most part, and hopefully we should have enough wood on hand to get through this winter along with helping our aged neighbors to also have enough wood (free of charge of course)...I thought life was supposed to get easier as one aged, but such is not the case I'm afraid. Big game hunting seasons will begin soon and we must stock the freezers. The Missus says that I would just shrivel up and die without the challenges we face, I might have agreed with her a few years ago, but now, I don't know. Father time does have it's effects on us all, but I'm sure my young and strong sons will carry on in my passing....Cheers and thanks so much for your kind attention....Jim :smiling3: .

Dustbin

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
As far as keeping things tasteful with this very difficult subject matter, a lot may be learnt from studying the work of war correspondents. Their work is often constrained by whichever company they sell their work to, ie the BBC, here in the UK. My own thoughts are that if you are careful with who you share viewing your work, then remember that war casualties are rarely tasteful and you can take your subject matter as far as you wish.

J

John Rixon

sometimes I wish me and the Missus just lived in a nice retirement community and all I had to worry about was my next build....but what of the Clan?...13 strong including the grand kids in three separate homes of course...so please be patient with my delayed posts. I do promise to be as active as I can if only for my own mental pleasure for I do enjoy so much my modeling.

Nah! It's the "light and shade" of real life that keeps you on your toes I reckon, also, the sense of community that needs to exist in such environments. Most city dwellers don't even know their neighbours, let alone give a toss how they're fairing in the bad weather. What is a normal winter to you would make the national news headlines every day here, but it does seem that whenever we meet conflict here, a sense of community somehow raises its head...

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Nah! It's the "light and shade" of real life that keeps you on your toes I reckon, also, the sense of community that needs to exist in such environments. Most city dwellers don't even know their neighbours, let alone give a toss how they're fairing in the bad weather. What is a normal winter to you would make the national news headlines every day here, but it does seem that whenever we meet conflict here, a sense of community somehow raises its head...

Maybe you're right John, physical activity is the right way to go says the docs, you wouldn't believe some of the old codgers here about, walking miles up and down the hunting trails, hauling deer and bear back on sleds...unreal ^_^  We do manage to yank a few sticks out now and then to stoke the fires and try to help out when we can ;) .......Jim :smiling3:

100_6148.JPG

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
you boys and big toy,s :D

I ,remember very similar happening around this time last year, 9_9

S

Stevekir

I have just finished watching the recent three programmes about the Battle of the Somme. It said that the number of Allied combatents killed in  WWI was 600,000, the figure for Germany was 400,00 That's a million! The wounded and crippled would have been more than that.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I know what you mean about helping out around the community Jim. We lived in town and hardly knew the people that lived around the house. We now live in the countryside and know half the people in the area! By Name!
I see that your Garden tractor is a bit bigger than mine LOL

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I know what you mean about helping out around the community Jim. We lived in town and hardly knew the people that lived around the house. We now live in the countryside and know half the people in the area! By Name!
I see that your Garden tractor is a bit bigger than mine LOL

Same thing here Ian, when we lived in the city (25 years ago) one would not even know the name of the person living right next door, but out here things are different. Though we are very sparsely populated in these parts everyone seems to know or know of everybody else. When Hurricane Irene barreled through, our mountain creeks and rivers became raging torrents wiping out many bridges and roads cutting off many folks for weeks and only all terrain vehicles could get through in many cases, we made sure everyone was accounted for (especially the oldsters and those with young children) We ran food convoys and got those out who needed medical attention. Winters are indeed rough for the most part but can be very beautiful at the same time. Bet you guys would love snow like this

View attachment 238068

but we do mange to keep warm enough ;)

View attachment 212636