Cromwell Mk,IV

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Rich

The tracks on the Tamiya kit are pretty good all you need to do is simulate the track sag. This is easily done by gluing the the top run of the track to the top of the tyres.

It's taken a little while but it's getting there!

Looking forward to seeing it complete.

Cheers

Paul

N

noble

I have this cromwell kit and it looks good so will continue watching this build, keep up the good work.

scott

R

roconnell

Progress in the making!

Well guys, made more progress. Currently in the process of fitting smaller parts now, have weathered underneath a little too, tracks are in the process of drying ready for weathering prior to fitting.

Slowly but surly getting there, started thinking about what will be my first dio now that i am getting closer to setting it up.

Thanks to a kind donation from Nobel I now have some Italeri British tank troops and a box of mini-art British armoured car crew to bring my dio to life so time to start making my mind up in how to set the scene! They will also be the first figures i have ever painted too!

Well here are a few pics to share, hopefully I got the colour okay but if not i'm still pleased so far with my first armour build.

Thanks for still watching despite GB ending

Cheers

Rich View attachment 28801View attachment 28799View attachment 28800

View attachment 34317

View attachment 34318

View attachment 34319

PIC_3256.jpg

PIC_3262.jpg

PIC_3258.jpg

N

noble

Richard the colour looks good to me, a little tip if you don't mind? mix up some dark yellow and thinner about 70% thinner 30% paint and airbrush the panel centres this gives the effect of worn olive drab paint, anywy nice progress keep those pics coming.

scott

R

roconnell

Getting onto Track

Thanks for the tip Scott, will get some dark yellow and give it a go, fingers crossed!

Finally got the tracks on tonight, been messing with pigments to mess up the tracks still more to be done but getting there.

Looking forward to calling along to the Midland Expo tomorrow for an couple of hours to get some more inspiration.

Rich

View attachment 28869

View attachment 34387

PIC_3277 - Copy.jpg

N

noble

Richard this is giong great guns mate i do like the tracks and wheels, just right to me , also once yo've weathered most of it try mixing a bit of burnt umber and black and then chip it to give it that battle worn look, hope this helps.

scott

R

roconnell

Test of Nerves!

Acquired some Tamiya Dark Yellow today at the Midland expo, really good show lots of excellent exhibits. Pitty the lighting was yellow as in a gymnasium hall, camera did not like it! The few photos I did get I will post in another forum topic.

Anyway back to the dark yellow!

Did as my good friend on here Noble suggested, thanks Scott, and here are my results, must say never having have done this before it did test my nerve, always worried to go to far. So pressure set low and had a go, and I must say I am pretty pleased with the end result, even if i do say so myself!

:smile1:

View attachment 28901View attachment 28902View attachment 28903View attachment 28904

View attachment 34412

View attachment 34413

View attachment 34414

View attachment 34415

PIC_3287.jpg

PIC_3289.jpg

PIC_3288.jpg

PIC_3285.jpg

N

noble

Richard mate this is coming along nicely keep going this is turning out to be a little cracker.

Scott

R

roconnell

Chipping away!

Well had a go at chipping something never done before...not sure I am happy with it though!

Do think it is probably to much? Hopefully it will tone down when decals are put on and final weathering is applied in end stages. I am also planning in putting some tarpaulin on the rear to simulate some stowage under cover.

Thanks for watching and welcome any further comments and suggestions

Cheers

Rich

View attachment 29063View attachment 29064View attachment 29065View attachment 29066View attachment 29067

View attachment 34526

View attachment 34527

View attachment 34528

View attachment 34529

View attachment 34530

PIC_3280.jpg

PIC_3283.jpg

PIC_3282.jpg

PIC_3281.jpg

PIC_3274 - Copy.jpg

R

Richy C

Looks pretty good to me Rich , if you don`t mind me saying if it was me I would add a bit more chipping and weathering around the hatches where they get a lot more wear also around the engine compartment hatches where you would get fuel and oil spillages , saying that if your happy with it then thats all that counts mate , for your 1st attempt at chipping you should be well chuffed.

Cheers

Richy

N

noble

Richard mate i dont think it looks overdon at all, the more beaten the better in my book very nice job mate keep it going.

scott

R

roconnell

Slow progress!

Hi Guys,

Slow progress I'm afraid and I am being dragged off to sunny Majorca for two weeks so build will need to go on hold! Anyway here is my latest progress with my first ever figure!

See you all in two weeks

Rich

View attachment 29737

View attachment 34964

IMG20110604_001.jpg

N

noble

Lovely job on the tanker Richard well done, and enjoy your holidays.

scott

F

Fenlander

This is looking very nice, the tip about lightening the panels, colour modulation, is a great technique and has certainly pepped this one up. Very nicely done. Hope you enjoy your holiday, look forward to seeing the build continue.

R

roconnell

Back again!

Hi all, finally back again to it, can't believe its taking me all this time to finish this one! So much for taking part in other group builds! Always one thing and another stopping me getting out to the shed.

To help me move forward, can anyone point me in the direction of any tutorials in how to change limbs on figure etc so to pose them in other positions? Have some lovely figures given to me from Scott and was wondering if needed how I can change the postures.

Also i have had a go at using tissue paper and gauze to make blankets but was wondering if there are any other ways in making other stowage?

Your tips as always are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rich

N

noble

Hi Rich hope the holiday was enjoyable mate, now as for limbs.... the way i have been taught to do this is say you want to bend a persons legs down like they are when sitting, i will take my saw and cut a slight V shape out of the back of their knees then light a candle and carefully apply a little heat to the legs just until they become moveable, move them back to the required position then set the figure aside to cool, this technique can be applied to bodies and arms too. However it all depends on how much movement you want to show.

scott

R

roconnell

Progress update!

Thanks for the tip Scott, thankfully I have decided I need not butcher or burn any!

Here are some pictures of progress so far and the set-up I am thinking of, the figures I opted for are the Italeri ones you sent me. I plan to use the other set with a dio of a British Universal Carrier.

As usual would appreciate any comments and suggestions in particular thoughts about the wooden crate I made today when playing with those coffee stirring sticks.

Not sure I want to use the fence as I am thinking that perhaps to make a barbed fence? I also plan to have the chap in the loaders hatch holding either binoculars or a headphone set?

I am toying with also making a map holder for the commander as seen in many photos, does anyone know of any small maps or documents? Failing that I will attempt to draw some!

As for all this the Job is on hold once again I'm afraid...off to the Lake District for a few days tomorrow, again under orders from SWMBO!

Again all comments welcome and appreciated

Thanks

Rich

View attachment 37113

View attachment 37114

View attachment 37115

View attachment 37116

View attachment 37117

View attachment 37118

View attachment 37119

PIC_4165.jpg

PIC_4168.jpg

PIC_4170.jpg

PIC_4172.jpg

PIC_4173.jpg

PIC_4175.jpg

PIC_4177.jpg

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's coming along a treat Rich. I can't quite tell from the pics, but if that guy by the gate hasn't got a mug of cha then he needs one!

Gern

PS Would you believe people use those oh-so-useful little wooden sticks just for stirring drinks? That's as bad as putting Klear on floors! Some folks just have no appreciation of value.

N

noble

Hi Rich this is looking very nice so far that cromwell's come up a treat your commander is excellent and i love the wooden crate nicely done. The camo net is a cool idea, is that gauze from a bandage? looks good.

scott

R

roconnell

Thanks for the encouraging comments guys!

Gern he certainly does have a cuppa in ones hand.

As for the cammo net Scott this is a little tip I got from Youtube and a guy called Ken Abrams who posts some useful tutorials. Cammo net tip was from one of the five creating stowage clips, note part 5 has been blocked due to copyright reasons and the music contained in it however Ken is going to try and send me the file, fingers crossed. Strange really how this one was blocked as the music is in all of them?

here is the link if interested ScaleModelMadman

Thanks once again for kind comments

Rich