Cromwell Mk,IV

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Richard

The dio's coming on nicely. Great work on the figures and the stowage looks interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on the progress looks as though it's gonna be a cracker

Top work

Paul

R

roconnell

Latest Look!

Thanks Paul,

Here is how things have taken shape this evening now the kids off to bed.

Must say I really enjoyed this part, little messy but fun! :grinball1:

Out of interest, would it be of benefit to give a light spray of art fixative once dry to help grass stay in place?

Rich

View attachment 37249

PIC_4268.jpg

Last edited:
R

roconnell

Thanks Scott,

The Italeri kit you sent me as you know have figures with some different battledress to that of the tank commander and what crews may have been wearing at the time. Two of the three I have chosen to use have pullovers with trousers without the additional front pocket. The other (one in loaders hatch) has somewhat similar uniform to the commander.

The advise I would like is what colours should I aim to use? I was thinking about Tamiya earth XF52 using the instructions in my Universal carrier kit as a reference? I think I could get away with it for the one figure (loaders hatch) but the two with the jumpers what colour could I do these?

The box art references Model-master paints and I am unsure of what the equivalents are?

I was also thinking about having a go at adding some thigh pockets to make things look similar using some putty or tape?

If not XF52 should i use the same colour as the commander? How would it look?

Yours and anyone else's thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Rich

B

Boldman

Hi Rich, for the static grass on my Spitfire (http://www.scale-models.co.uk/aircraft-pictures/12139-tamiya-1-32-spitfire-mk-ix.html) I did over spray afterwards with dilute pva glue. Similarly on my Battle of Britain diorama (http://www.scale-models.co.uk/planes-helicopters/12446-1-48th-scale-battle-britain-diorama.html) , but on that I was using a mix of static grass, grass flock and grass scatter to create different textures, so it needed a bit of extra binding. However in my most recent Challenger diorama (http://www.scale-models.co.uk/challenger-challenge/13417-challenger-i-mk-3-bosnia-1996-mud-mud-glorious-mud.html), I laid down the glue on the surfaces I wanted to put grass on, puffed the static grass and left it. I didn't give it another spray coating and yet it all seems to be holding well.

I think it comes down to how well you put down the glue in the first place and how well the initial application of grass adheres. Is the artists fixative from an aerosol can? if so be careful that the gas pressure doesn't affect the way the static grass lays. I used a squeeze bottle to spray the glue keeping the nozzle pointing away from the grass itself so even that small amount of air pressure doesn't touch the grass.

Last edited:
N

noble

Hi Rich for the battle dress Khaki is also good but XF52 is good, what i would do is once done give the uniform a wash with burnt unmber oil paint then highlight and shadow this should see you right. As for the jumper i would start with light grey then give it a black wash then maybe a thin wash with burnt umber too.

scott

R

roconnell

Thanks so much for the pointers guys. I used the fixative and all seems well. Also just got back from the shed and figures taking shape now thanks to the pointers. Must say Andrew really impressed with your dio's especially as you have recently returned to the fold after so long. Thanks once again bothRich

R

roconnell

R

roconnell

Thought I better end this thread of mine as i have now completed my project which can be viewed here

Thanks for all the support throughout

Rich