Crumplezone's French AUF-1 Meng 1/35

C

Crumplezone

IMG_9944.JPG Hi all, finally posting again.
Upon viewing the contents of this kit one is struck by the large number of parts, nice touches include. Photoetch templates to paint the road & idler wheel rubber and other piece of etch for painting of rubber track shoes.IMG_9946.JPG
The construction begins with the lower hull, I found the instructions difficult to follow also clean up of some with a file and/or scalpel were nessary.IMG_9947.JPG

Here we see turret floor on the hull. I am looking forward to finishing this distinctive AFV in NATO three color.

Attachments

• IMG_9945.JPG
    IMG_9945.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 4
First Name
colin
Looks like a very impressive kit David I'll be following this one mate.

T

tommy1drop

Chair pulled up, and I'm looking forward to following your build;)

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looking good so far David. Any build issues with the kit? I bought their TA version recently, but the reviews I've seen are from guys who have made extensive modifications so any OOB comments would be useful.

C

Crumplezone

Hi Gern, the instructions have been the biggest concern, I found them vague, to be fair there is a lot of information to be passed on, perhaps Meng were trying to keep the number of pages down. Also discovered early on that test fitting of parts is mandatory, some items required attention with a file. Mounting tabs and recesses could be better.

B

Builder

Looking good there Dave. Ive read a few reviews of this kit and seems like a good model, good luck mate.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Gern, the instructions have been the biggest concern, I found them vague, to be fair there is a lot of information to be passed on, perhaps Meng were trying to keep the number of pages down. Also discovered early on that test fitting of parts is mandatory, some items required attention with a file. Mounting tabs and recesses could be better.

Some care needed then. Thanks david.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve

Have found the same thing - with parts fitting on my build of the Shilka, lots of mould tabs need removing and get in the way of a clean fit. Recesses some to big for some tabs, so a lot of play when trying to line things up.

C

Crumplezone

IMG_9989.JPG
Test fitting of turret parts prior to priming & painting. Do not intend to be pedantic with the interior as the roof will be glued on. Fit of these parts was okay, some flash and moulding of gates a little heavy.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start and dose look interesting as well,nice,;)

C

Crumplezone

Test fit for the sake of curiosity, & it's quite a large scale model.
IMG_0147.JPG
IMG_0146.JPG
Lower hull finally primed in Vallejo white primer. The hull features what in theory should be functioning torsion bar suspension.

C

Crumplezone

IMG_0174.JPG IMG_0173.JPG Spent a couple of hours today fixing items to the hull. Many small parts the floor only claimed one. Tamiya xtra thin cement and lashings of black tea were redeeming elements.

C

Crumplezone

IMG_0240.JPG Track construction underway using the kit supplied jig, a little fiddly, track detail is good. Eighty links per side two pieces per link equals a lot of time.

First Name
colin
The more I see of this kit the more I want one.

B

Builder

Goodluck with the Jig, Ive never done tracks using one but know its very time consuming. Well worth the effort though.

C

Crumplezone

Goodluck with the Jig, Ive never done tracks using one but know its very time consuming. Well worth the effort though.
G'day Manny, yes takes a fair chunk of time, the links have great detail, but..... the completed runs of links keep breaking apart. Grrrrrrrr !