Current Manufacturer Trends

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Way back, in the 80's i used to pour over the latest Tamiya catalogue from the local toy shop and wonder at all these pristine built models, nowadays the trend has changed to show them all weathered up, a more realistic interpreatoin of the real thing. Nothing wrong either way just something i spotted on The Modelling news this morning with Revells latest releases;

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2017/02/revells-new-items-of-february-choppers.html#more

And if you think your figures are bad, rejoice as they cant be anyway as nearly bad as this chap(Revell)

03254 Sd.Kfz.184 Tank Hunter ELEFANT (5).jpg

A

Aurora

well this is open topic for opinions and totaly depends on personal point of views. i allways belive pristine and even mid. quality crafting releases are better for beginners. just image you buy that kit by only looking that pictures and it is your first kit, if you compare that fully weathered pro model and your build there will be a difference like day & night then they will learn they need to buy tons of other things. some people might stop continuing on this hobby because of this reason. for example that chap looks like my first painted figure ;) also you can recognise problems of the kit with mid quality crafted models. especially molding mistakes. as you said both correct but i prefer pristine/ mid crafting quality built kits.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Oh yep i prefer the clean look, no way to hide any 'errors' that way - plus you can see what you are going to get, and yes with the figure i agree - just lots of people on here say how bad their figures are, with this revell figure why distress his uniform but leave his face in a pass of flesh paint and a 1000 yard stare. would have been better for a flat black coat and left at that, mixed signals a bit.

used to love these pages, and the dio's in the middle, Do Tamiya still make catalogues?

catalogue 80's.jpg