Cutting white metal

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I need to cut a plank off this white metal 'deck' - it's the base for a 75mm miniature. It's 2mm thick. I don't need to keep what I cut off.
20221107_204822.jpgWhat's the best way to do this neatly? I have knives, razor saw, dremel etc. Sorry for the basic question, but I've never worked with white metal before.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
A small hacksaw. You could use a modeller’s razor saw (that’s not one of those razor blade shapes with teeth cut in!) but that will be more laborious and may blunt the saw faster than you’d like.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Dremel with a cutting wheel. lowest speed, and no undue pressure - let the cutting wheel cut without trying to hasten the result mate. Slowly, slowly catchee monkey! (Several passes over the same line may be necessary)
Steve

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for the suggestions, gents. Because I don't need to keep what I remove, I think I'll try all three methods, back from the true edge, to see which I like.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Me, I’d use a razor saw if it’s a straight cut. One of the larger Xacto types though, not one designed for a knife blade. You could also cut off the excess with a pair of side cutters and clean up afterwards with wet and dry on a hard backing, or use a jeweller’s piercing saw with a fairly coarse blade. Don’t use good files on white metal though. It will clog them up and ruin them.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Well, I've clogged my razor saw blade, but that, combined with carefully deployed side cutters, has done the trick. Thanks again, everybody. I'm really enjoying working with white metal - very obliging stuff it is.
20221108_100221.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, I've clogged my razor saw blade, but that, combined with carefully deployed side cutters, has done the trick. Thanks again, everybody. I'm really enjoying working with white metal - very obliging stuff it is.
View attachment 466826
Never had white metal clog a razor saw before, but then I have several and just use the coarsest one for that sort of work. I’ve actually once used that one to cut a six inch chipboard shelf to size when I was too lazy to go to the garage and get a proper saw…...
You can unclog the saw by dragging the blade sideways along the grain of a scrap of softwood several times. If it is really badly clogged, use a brass wire suede brush rubbed sideways across the teeth first.