D-Day LCVP.

A

Armorguy

Hello friends, this is the first thread since I arrived here one week or so ago. I like the Scale Models site a lot as it's active, friendly and educational.

I'll build Italeri's LCVP with figures on a stormy sea.
lcvp-with-us-infantry-d-day-.jpg
The following images inspired me but I'll never forget the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan.
Only for reference purposes.
39_utah_beach_1944_debarquement_normandie.jpg

Darke_APA-159_-_LCVP_18.jpg

i04225.jpg

lan22.jpg

lcvp00.jpg

lcvp003.jpg

Here we go friends.
I had to fix things here and there like the 90 degrees angles. I textured the steel plates by adding Tamiya Extra thin to soften up the plastic. I then dabbed with a stiff old brush to get the surface somewhat rougher. After a bit of subtle sanding it looks more metallic.
The woodgrain texturing was done with a metal file.
1.JPG

2.JPG
The ribs were given a wood structure.
3.jpg
I've added new rivets.
20180513_134540.jpg

More LCVP works soon.

Best regards ! AG.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Me too if I may. I agree with your comments about the forum. Looking forward to seeing how this comes together. Good luck
Steve

A

Armorguy

Thank you guys, I won't be alone tackling this kit then !

A

Armorguy

Btw. you're most welcome because this is the first floating subject I'm building so I'm not experienced at it.
I'll try to make a piece of stormy sea to show it once it's finished, never did that before so please help !!!:tired::thinking:
Some of the figures will be converted to better blend in the situation (vomiting soldiers for example).

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Guy
I'm in. First build on a forum is always special. You are off to a great start. I'll enjoy this.
Jim
You're right - this forum is a nice place to be :thumb2:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Guy,
I have never built a floaty thing either so I can't wait to see how this goes together...All eyes on it!!!

Prost
Allen

PS, A friend and I did build an Aurora German Battleship once. A fire cracker under the turrets up front and a cherry bomb under the rear turrets. The glue wasn't even dry and with a spritz of lighter fluid and a lit match, she was pushed off in the water. Bang she went!!!!!!! We were 12 or so........

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Guy, I'm in to, love the upgrade work already, good luck with the rest of the build.
Pete :thumb2:.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guy, I'm trying to wade through the crowd that's building up to get a seat up front. This has to be seen up close. I have one in the stash so it's edu time for me. Built a large water scene once, turned out so so for an Airfix E Boat. Picture here if you like to see it

e-boat4.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

A

Armorguy

Jim, I like the supportive comments a lot. Thank you sir !
Allen, I did the same to some 1:72 scale planes, the poor things never survived as I threw them off the roof of the house. :smiling5:
Andy, you're most welcome sir.
Pete, I won't upgrade it 100% but here and there I'll add/correct a bit or a bob.:smiling3:
Richard, that looks perfect, I wish mine will come out just as nicely as yours. Boat and water look superb !

I got the flu since this afternoon but I made a start with parts 37D, they still need more attention.
New Phototastic Collage.jpg

Best regards ! AG.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If you want to do water, have a look at some of Spanner's builds. I am sure this guy is in league with Poseidon!
Like what you are doing here. Keep it up.

First Name
Wouter
Guyke this is looking good again chap, well done! And get well soon ey!

Cheers

A

Armorguy

Ian, thank you, I'll certainly take a good look when I'm up to the water part.
Wouter, this is an easy build and I think I can start painting real soon. Now I'm feeling a lot better.

This is how far I got despite the flu.:face-with-thermometer:

7.jpg

Thanks for jumping in. AG.

A

Armorguy

Steve, no thank you sir !:smirk:

Things are progressing well, today I've airbrushed the interior of the boat. I'll work from dark shades to lighter ones.
I've started painting because I want everything 100% covered with paint.
For the base paint I mixed Gloss black + Mat white + Medium grey + Tamiya laquer thinner. For the lighter shade I applied more white.

20180519_173350.jpg

20180519_173457.jpg

Best regards ! AG.

First Name
Wouter
Ah, the paint MG-42 has been used for a first time :smiling3:. Good to see the juices flowing Guy, nice start!

Cheers

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Coming on beautifully. Wish I could afford one this nice in my scale. PaulE