Danny`s Phantom

J

Jim Scott

That is good progression Danny, paint job looks mighty fine.

D

Danny

Thanks Jim, Dave...Its been good progress so far with only a couple of hic-ups. The office to fus fit wasnt that good with a fair bit of filling needed on the back bulkhead, also the canopy isnt the best. the biggest error, and it was mine, is whatever it is thats rattling about inside it !...Ive checked the office and nothing seems to be missing. Knowing my luck it will be a file or knife thats in there.....

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice paint job Danny, did you use the blue tac method for the soft demarcation lines? Hopefully the rattle isn't anything important.

D

Danny

Hi Joe, no, I decided that as my skills are brush based...I would convince my brain it was a brush I was holding, so did it freehand. Im pleased to say Im happy with the attempt. Both the air-brush and my arm behaved themselves :smiling3:

The rattle...its like a noisy car, I will just put the radio on louder and forget about it.

Danny

D

Danny

It caught me out Ian..I was using standard plastic filler and had to go into town for a tube of Green Sq putty...the gap was to big.

Danny

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wow, I am very impressed with the freehand air brushing. Nice work Danny.

D

Danny

A question for those that worked on the Phantom...what colour was the wheel wells on the C? Ive seen various pics with light grey, white and red...?

danny

First Name
Dave
I worked on the F4J,K and M.The wheel wells were painted white and the airbrake bays were red.Inside of airbrakes were red as well.

D

Danny

Thanks Dave, I knew youd help me out there....appreciated.

Danny

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would of said white with a good splattering of various fluids! Hydraulic oil I think was a clear red and break fluid green. Dave will put me in place if I am wrong :confused:

Would the inside of the aux air intakes also have been red? Avionics bays? Any idea on those..

Your doing a great job so far. nice free hand camo.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
OM15 Hydraulic fluid used by the RAF was red .Same stuff used in brakes as they are part of the hydraulic system.Inside of aux air intake doors painted red.Engine intakes white inside.Equipment bays and other interior areas were green primer (except for the cockpit).This applies to the RAF Phantoms.I think the American ones were the same.But don't quote me on that!.Any leaks would appear as filthy black grime.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Michael
Looking great Dave, nice work with the freehand airbrushing, that takes nerve. M

J

Jim Scott

Sweet Danny like the paint job, airbrushing is some thing I need to experiment on before attempting what you have done.

D

Danny

Been a busy week with weddings but managed to get some work done on Sunday....the Phantom now has undercarriage and a coat of Kleer....Payload is half painted, although the sparrows and drop fuel tanks took up more time in filling and sanding than the the rest of the kit. Next stage. All those we hairy stick jobs that I like:smiling3: View attachment 60113View attachment 60114View attachment 60115View attachment 60116

View attachment 61854

View attachment 61855

View attachment 61856

View attachment 61857

IMG_4595 (Medium).jpg

IMG_4597 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4599 (Medium).jpg

IMG_4600 (Medium).JPG

D

Danny

Thank you Ian...Its coming along..again its all part of the learning process..

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Really good progress Danny. That free hand camouflage is brilliant. Mine sits as it was at my last update, covered in grey primer.