Dapol/kitmaster prototype deltic

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Not really a train person, but I remember these thundering through Plymouth station in my childhood and am finding this thread really interesting Pete:thumb2:,

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not really a train person, but I remember these thundering through Plymouth station in my childhood and am finding this thread really interesting Pete:thumb2:,
Andy mate, they were only ever used on the East coast main line…..to be going through Plymouth they must have been extremely lost! I think you may have confused them with class 37 diesels, which had a similar appearance.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy mate, they were only ever used on the East coast main line…..to be going through Plymouth they must have been extremely lost! I think you may have confused them with class 37 diesels, which had a similar appearance.
Maybe Tim,they look so similar to the ones leaving Laira Depot that I saw... I expect you're correct, not just because of your Train knowledge.... but also, when I saw Pete's build,I did think,"I'm sure they were more of a green colour"!!.....
.... They are fading memories mind!! :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
They didn’t have the middle headlight either ;) . Great engines though. Some of them have only just gone out of service. In fact, several were sold to preservation groups, then bought back by main line companies for further service.
20421CE9-C8ED-4FD3-A393-40C1E0EBF761.jpegThese boys…..l

Sorry for the diversion Peter, just thought it was an interesting branch to go down……

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Engines show the size of the deltic powerplant nicely Peter. Shows why they were the most powerful diesel locomotives in the world at introduction. Great build so far :thumb2:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
They didn’t have the middle headlight either ;) . Great engines though. Some of them have only just gone out of service. In fact, several were sold to preservation groups, then bought back by main line companies for further service.
View attachment 494429These boys…..l

Sorry for the diversion Peter, just thought it was an interesting branch to go down……
That's the buggers!!....
Nice one Tim.... Thanks for that :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just one bit of trivia class 55 50 and 37 all share the same bogies
Interesting. I knew the 37s did, but never realised the hoovers were fitted with them. Did you know the Deltics were originally fitted with water scoops to fill the train heating boilers on the move though ;) . They were removed when the troughs went at the end of steam. I suppose the passengers went cold after that:sleeping2: