Das Werk kits

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I am looking at getting some armour kits (no i'm not defecting away from wingy things) and have looked at a few kits i would like. Das Werk have a few kits i like the look of but i've never seen much about them. What are they like? As difficult as Dragon?

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
No! Better instructions, some very fine parts but generally a 'read the instructions, dry fit, and 'Bob's your Uncle' type of build
has been my experience with them mate!
Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Steve. I'm in two minds between a Das Werk Panther and a Hobbyboss Panther

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Not a great lover of Hobby Boss Alan - can't really explain why either! There are other options for a first class Panther though - probably dependent on your defined parameters, eg cost, complexity etc - look forward to your final decision though!
Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cost is defo one of them. It's basically down to Das Werk, Hobbyboss and Meng for the Panther Ausf.A late.

I like the HB one because it already comes with decal zimmerit where as the DW and Meng one has to be bought separately and is in resin for the DW and decal for the Meng (which is obviously more cost)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Das Werk kits are mostly reboxings of other manufacturers’, as far as I know. Check Scalemates to be sure — for their Panther A, for example, it shows that it’s a Takom kit with new parts.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Does anyone know which model of Ausf. A the Hobbyboss kit is? I'm after an Ausf.A Late version.

Looking at the options though i think Meng have it. Whilst the Das Werk is quite a bit cheaper, it also uses resin zimmerit sheets and i'd much prefer decal ones.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Alan,

The Hobby Boss kit 84506 is a late Ausf. D/early Ausf. A and comes with Zimmerit. It doesn't include the ball for the MG on the hull front (Late A) and has the pistol ports on the turret sides. You also have to glue the 2 teeth on every track link. A real test of one's patience!!!

I would look into Meng's Zimmerit and I'm pretty sure it would work on the Das Werk kit. Of course it wouldn't be a perfect fit and may take a bit of playing to fill any small gaps between, but the price is cheaper than any other brand. HTHs

Allen

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I forgot to mention that Tamiya makes a Zimmerit kit for their early Ausf. G and John sells it for 8,99. It should work on the Das Werk too with a little playing around.............

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
a late Ausf. D/early Ausf. A and comes with Zimmerit. It doesn't include the ball for the MG on the hull front (Late A) and has the pistol ports on the turret sides.
IIRC (but I can’t find the source right now), what makes a Panther a D or an A is the turret, not the hull: if there are pistol ports, it’s an Ausf. D.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
True Jakko (to a point),

The simplified new hull came with the Ausf. G Panther. Both the Ausf. D and the transition into the Ausf. A had a pistol port on both sides of the turret. The Ausf. A mid to late series eliminated the pistol ports and also the vertical flap for the hull MG. Mid to late Ausf. A's had the armored ball instead. The same with the commander's cupola as some early A's still used the D cupola. These were usually replaced when they were repaired or refurbished, with a new Ausf. A type. Zimmerit was typically the norm on all Panther models until September '44 and each factory producing them had their own pattern they applied. Zimmerit was also applied in the field in some cases....Sorry Alan........

Prost
Allen

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Alan,

The Hobby Boss kit 84506 is a late Ausf. D/early Ausf. A and comes with Zimmerit. It doesn't include the ball for the MG on the hull front (Late A) and has the pistol ports on the turret sides. You also have to glue the 2 teeth on every track link. A real test of one's patience!!!

I would look into Meng's Zimmerit and I'm pretty sure it would work on the Das Werk kit. Of course it wouldn't be a perfect fit and may take a bit of playing to fill any small gaps between, but the price is cheaper than any other brand. HTHs

Allen
Individual guide horns are the work of Beelzebub :poop:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Both the Ausf. D and the transition into the Ausf. A had a pistol port on both sides of the turret. The Ausf. A mid to late series eliminated the pistol ports (…). The same with the commander's cupola as some early A's still used the D cupola.
That’s what I mean: as I recall it, the above is conventional wisdom, but I read a well-researched source that said that the turret changes are what makes it an Ausf. A rather than a D: if it has the pistol ports, it’s a D, even if it has all the other features associated with an A.

But I don’t remember where I read that :sad:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Thanks for all the info guys.

I'm going to have a think about this. The Panther will have to wait a little longer. Just spent my xmas money on three other items :smiling3:

But i think i'll go down the Meng route for the Panther.