Dave Ward's 1/35 HobbyBoss Vickers Medium Mark I

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Whilst on the final approach on my FJ-4Fury ( also by HobbyBoss ), I've opened the box on this, and taken a few detail pics of some parts:hb vickers medium mk i.jpg

The Hull is in one ( box! ) piece - some nice detail..........box hull 02.jpgbox hull 01.jpg

The turret similarly is in one piece
turret.jpg

No coaxial machine guns but two Vickers in the hull, and a Hotchkiss that could be swapped around between ball mounts in the turretmachine guns.jpg
Thers's no interior at all, but despite this HB provide PE details for the Vickers breech end ( no no no! )
This looks more appropriate to a drain cover!
grating.jpg

Some nice details on the suspension/drivetrain partssuspension mounts.jpgsprockets.jpgreturns.jpg

I think the real tricky/tiresome part will be the track links
track links 01.jpg
I'll need 65 links per side - 260 bits to fit.
The Vickers Medium Mk I was the first 'mass produced' tank, around 80 were built, but constantly modified as experience dictated. The road wheel axles were fragile, and there are two options for variations in the kit. New Improved suspension bogies were fitted to the Mark II onwards . I hope to start construction at the weekend - somehow I don't think this will be as fast a build as my FJ-4!!
Dave

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Interesting model Dave.Look forward to seeing it come togethsr.
Jon.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave those tracks look like carpet monster food !
The rest looks fine, doesn't look to be any flash .
John .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I have read that it is possible to use Tamiya Matilda tracks as replacement. The 'new' Tamiya Matilda has both 'link & length' and flexible tracks. I'll dig mine out, and have a look, but I want to use the kit parts if possible.
Dave

Reactions: JR
T

Tony Lee

This one is a first for me:surprised: so you know i'll be watching.

Tony lee

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Very nice dave , looks to be beautifully moulded , those hundreds of track bits look like a PITA though!! Cheers tony

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking like an interesting build so I’ll tag along as well.....tracks could be a bit of a drag though. I would be tempted to stick the little bits on the big bits while the big bits are still on the sprue, it should make some of the handling easier.....depends on the clean up though.
Cheers
Tim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tony - HobbyBoss make 4 versions of the Vickers tank, from mine, the Mark I, to the Mark II**, which looks quite different.
Tim - yes, I always try to make as much on the sprues as possible, even down to priming.
I've located the Tamiya Matilda, so I'll be able to compare the track bits.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I assembled a few HB tracks to compare with the Tamiya link & length parts:
tamiya vs HB .jpg
HB on the left. Small differences, but the overall dimensions are the same.

The Tamiya model gives you the alternative L & L, and flexible.............
Tamiya flex vs HB.jpg

I am keeping the link & length tracks for the Matilda, but, the flexible tracks I will keep as a backup for the HB model, in case I get really fed up with assembling the individual links. I want to use the kit parts, but it's nice to have a fallback.
Dave
p.s. the Matilda is the 35300 issue ( the 300th Military model from Tamiya )

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Very interesting model Dave, lovely finish and moulding as the guys have pointed out, nice work so far.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Looks OK as a kit. One piece hull and one piece turret. They are saving you time for the track :smirk: Someone like Tristar or MiniArt would have had two sprues for the hull and another for the turret!!!
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Construction started! I'm going to split the construction of the tracks up - 4 sprues, 4 sessions.
First track sprue done about 3/4 hr, with P!ink blasting out ( not Pink Floyd ), a bit fiddly, but OKguide teeth.jpglinks complete.jpg

These are not clickable links, I'll do the same as I always do, create straight runs, then fill in with individual links.
There is only one colour option, in which HB calls for overall 'olive drab'. I don't think that is correct, so I'm going with the Khaki Green No.3 ( G3 ) from the Hataka Set:
hataka paint.jpg
I've had good results with Hataka paint, so no worries
Dave

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dave,

Loving this so far, :thumb2::thumb2:
Do you use a hairy stick or the hissy stick with the Hataka paints?

Paul.
:smiling2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
There is only one colour option, in which HB calls for overall 'olive drab'. I don't think that is correct,
Not according to Mike Starmer’s book, British Army Colours & Disruptive Camouflage in the United Kingdom, France & N.W. Europe, 1936 -1945. I quote:

Mike Starmer said:
An examination of immediate pre-war monochrome photographs frequently shows tanks and other vehicles with a very dark and glossy, almost black, appearance which the writer believes to be examples of B.S.C. No.24 Deep Bronze Green.

The model paint mixture he provides for this in the same book is 6 parts Humbrol 3 Brunswick Green, 3 parts Humbrol 10 Service Brown and 1 part Humbrol 2 Emerald Green, and apply a satin varnish over the paint. The paint chip also included is basically a glossy, very dark green.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jakko,
yep, fair enough - although the Medium Mk I was produced in 1924, so before Mr Starmers reference period. I do have several types of Deep Bronze Green, but I don't have to decide for a while yet!
Dave

T

Tony Lee

Dave I think you need to invest in a new nipper,those rough cuts on the links only add to the clean up in my opinion:thumb2:.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tony,
Ah, but there is a reason for the cuts - the guides are so small, I can't get a tighter cut - so I will clean them up after having glued the guide link to the track plate. I did try using a scalpel, but the carpet monster was ready and waiting! It's a matter of being able to handle the bits with my fat fingers!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the Medium Mk I was produced in 1924, so before Mr Starmers reference period.
I confused the versions you were building — thought it was the later Mk. II :smiling3: