Dave Ward's 1/35 HobbyBoss Vickers Medium Mark I

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Mike,
I did look at the Russian Green - but I thought it was a bit too light. Weathering? well, these were peacetime tanks, and all the more precious for being the first few. Unless the vehicles were on exercise, or just returned, they would have been scrubbed down, paint retouched, and kept ready for inspection ( just like the horses they replaced! ). So I think a bit of modulation, and a light wash are as far as I will go
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave think your right with the paint, suppose you could add a touch of black to darken the 4 BO
As for those MiniArt interiors, I would think paying those prices you would leave it open, I wonder how many have been built without mishap with the plastic they use.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Primed and basecoated the hull...................................

basecoated hull 01.jpg

I made up the Tamiya Matilda flexible tracks, to see what the fit was like..............

basecoated hull 02.jpg

To my surprise, they were a pretty good fit. I'm going to paint them up, and see how they look. I'm still working on the individual links, but if the flexi tracks look any good, I may go with them.
Dave

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Dave,
Fully agree on the weathering, looking at Light Tank VIB's, they looked as though they had just come from the showroom.... And the Green you have chosen for the basecoat will get you there. Looking forward to the final model.
Cheers,
MikeC.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Turret complete - not many pieces and a few PE bits that don't really show up!turret fin.jpg

I sprayed the Tamiya tracks a dark metallic grey ( my own mix ), and with a light wash of black, and an even lighter wash of rust, they will look the part.
tracks basecoated.jpg

Once the tracks have been fitted, the the fenders can be added. There are 5 PE brackets each side, so steady hands will be needed!
I will give everything an overall gloss varnish, the the decals will have to be added ( all 7 of them! ). Instead of a final normal matt finish, I think that satin may be more appropriate
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Getting close to a finish, just a few more pieces to assemble...............................nearly 01.jpgnearly 02.jpg

An overall varnish spray now, to flatten everything out, then decals. I still have to add those curious headlamp covers. The picture below ( for discussion purposes only ) is the vehicle the decals are based on
track sag.jpg
This also is one of the few photos that shows one of these tanks in less than pristine condition!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I applied a coat of varnish - I'll wait overnight for it to really dry before proceeding.
As I normally do at this stage of a model, my thoughts turn to the next build!
Another 1/48 production from ICM........................ICM Hs 126.jpg

I can't remember ever having made a Condor Legion aircraft before - so this will be new territory. I'll start construction after completion of the Vickers
Dave

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nearly there! I need to add the tracks, then some PE plates around the idler ( can't fit them before the tracks). I've added a few drops of PVA on the headlights - but you can't really see them.
nearly 03.jpgnearly 04.jpgnearly 05.jpg

The next pictures I will post - tomorrow - will be in the 'completed' section
Dave

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dave,

Nice job on the build but that suspension doesn't look that robust I can imagine they had problems with it.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave .
Nice build .
John .

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hello Dave,
A spit and polished ready for inspection, really good build from you. I was watching an old film 'Wavels 30,000' and what came trundleing across the screen......
Cheers
MikeC.