Dave Ward's 1/35 ICM Ford V3000

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I picked this out of the stash,icm v3000m.jpg

Thought the box was a little heavy, and found the contents of this as well........................
revell v3000.jpg
The Revell reboxing of the standard ICM wheeled V3000!. You can, in fact make the wheeled version from the ICM Maultier box, 4 sprues being the same as the all wheeler. One additional sprue for the Maultier, with suspension, and link and length tracks.
Revell seem to take a batch of a ICM model, and release it for a limited period, often at a good price - which is probably where mine came from!
Now, I can make the All Wheeler, or the Maultier ( NO, not both! ), but can't decide which - preferences anyone?
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Dave
Go for the wheeler this time...it will make a change from the ubiquitous Blitz....
Cheers
Tim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
My vote would be for the half track version. Bit of a cruel vote 'cause it means fiddly tracks. Strange that so many half tracks were used during the war and yet there do not seem to be any current half tracks.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The Blitz was based on the Opel truck, this Maultier is based on the Ford.
The half track? it's neither one thing or another, not as good on roads as an all wheeler, and not as good as a fully tracked vehicle X-country. It was simpler to build, under wartime conditions, but removing that factor, lost favour. Interesting that the Russians never went for half tracks in any major way, you'd think with all that snow a half track could be useful
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Am I right in thinking a lot of these were fitted with Bren carrier tracks and wheels captured from the BEF? They certainly look like the same running gear, and it would be a useful recycling opportunity.
Cheers
Tim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tim,
The smaller maultiers used PzKpfw I tracks, - the larger maultiers used the Pzkpfw II tracks as seen in the Zvezda L4500R Maultier ( Incidentally 'maultier' means mule for non German speakers ).
zvezda maultier.jpg
I have one of those in the stash as well!
The Pzkpfw I had very similar running gear to the Universal Carrier - Horstmann suspension, from the Vickers light tanks.

Dave

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
W/no powered front axle the Ford had little off road capability, so for military use the halftrack solution made sense. I believe it also was more reliable with the load spread out over the tracks' suspension. Maultier gets my vote. PaulE

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I knew I had a box of boxes, barrels etc, after a hunt, I found it.....................truck loads.jpg
Most of it Value Gear - I think I can make up one truck load!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Strange that so many half tracks were used during the war and yet there do not seem to be any current half tracks.
Because they add a lot of complexity (and thus maintenance and repairs) as well as increased weight (and thus fuel consumption) for little practical gain. Cross-country mobility is better than of a wheeled vehicle, true, but not as good as of a full-tracked vehicle. In practice there aren’t that many situations where a half-track has a real advantage over an all-wheel-drive, which is both cheaper and easier to maintain, especially given advances in all-wheel-drive technology since the Second World War.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well you know my feelings on wheeled things:sad:, Dave
so I'd like to see how it;'s done :smiling4:
John .

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dave,
I built the maultier a while ago it builds up to a nice kit. It will be good to see your take on it.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Since I have both the Maultier and the wheeled version in the box, I'm going to do the wheeled version now, and the Maultier at a later date.
This is the Revell reboxing - plastic as the ICM, but with different decals & instructions.
instr.jpgchassis sprue.jpgbody sprue 01.jpgbed & wheels.jpgwindows & decals.jpg
No slide moulding - all old school. Note the chassis & truckbed rails form the outside of the sprue - top sprue shot
Next, a few detail shots.......................

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The wheels are all plastic - I like this better - easier to paint, and not as heavy!wheel 01.jpgwheel 02.jpg

There is a complete engine, but as I'm doing this loaded, and a driver, the bonnet will be shut. Only assembly of the engine will be for mounting other parts - ie exhaust manifold etc. There isn't any provision for showing it open, anyway.
engine.jpg
Some bits will need a fair bit of preparation, and some care in removing from the sprue.
spring.jpglittle bits.jpg

The mouldings are crisp & well defined, without any flash the radiator cowl is nice..
rad cowl.jpg

The instructions follow the same sequence as the ICM versions. Having made quite a few ICM trucks, I know that they like to complete whole assemblies in one step - this means that often fragile bits can get broken off on further assembly, or they get seriously in the way of handling, so I will be deviating from the instruction sequences.
The chassis is 'flat packed', separate side and cross pieces forming a ladder rail. Getting this square is top priority, if you want to have all the wheels on the ground!
New blades in my scalpels, plastic will be cut and fitted shortly
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Oh dear I feel sick looking at those sprues.
John .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Construction off and running. I've made the engine up - at least as far as I need to.
engine assy.jpg
The air filter, carbs water pump and dynamo are left off - they're invisible from below.
The chassis - rails and cross members joined. I'll put some weights on this overnight, so it will really dry, and stay square.
ladder chassis.jpg
Just minor clean up needed so far..........
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Watching this Dave. I have a soft spot for softskins...

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Dave,
Nice choice. I have several of these in 1/87 scale and they never fail to please. According to my information source that Ford V8 flathead was rated @95 horsepower. Pretty good for an old water boiler.
Will you be doing full engine detail with open hood or close it up?
Rick H.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Rick,
closed up, with a full load, and a driver ( I've got one, if I can find him! ) There's no provision in the model to show the hood open anyway!
Dave