Dave Ward's 1/48 HB FJ-4 Fury

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Whilst I am waiting for the final varnish coat to dry on my Seehund, I've decided on my next build
hb fj-4 fury.jpg
A fairly simple model, it has one or two errors that I can easily correct. It has Bullpup missiles, which were only carried by the FJ-4B, and an extra airbrake under the tail. This again was a feature of the FJ-4B, but is only represented by a raised panel, that can be easily sanded off. I'm going to add a pilot, from the Tamiya F4D-1 Skyray ( It was either the Fury or the Skyray for a new build ), but otherwise OOB.
Construction will start shortly - no sprue shots - I've taken a fair number off, to test fit, which seems good.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The Sabre was an ancestor, the FJ-1 was essentially a navalised Sabre, but the FJ-4 was a completely redesigned beast. It didn't have a long service, from the late 50's to the mid-60's, and was only used by the USN & USMC
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Construction started. I've painted the Tamiya pilot & the ejection seat...................seat & driver.jpg
The model is very simple, around 50 parts for the basic plane, and about another 20 for the 2 sidewinders & fuel tanks. The air brake recesses look too deep to me, but it would be a real pig to make them more shallow.
fuselage.jpg
The model has fine engraved details The cockpit sits on a short intake duct.
wings.jpg
You do have the option of folded wings, but the details of the fold looks a bit sparse to me, and I never like the idea of cutting through wings! The undercarriage bay is an insert, which acts as a short spar. I'll have to fill the inboard pylon holes, as the FJ-4 had only 4 pylons ( The FJ-4B had six. )
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Although there is no mention in the instructions, I'm sure this would be a tail sitter without nose weights. I CA'd steel BBs in the front of the nose, but might not be enough............
nose weights.jpg
I might have to add some more weight behind the cockpit module.

I've closed the fuselage up - a very nice fit! - Just minor seam sanding now needed. I couldn't resist dry fitting the assembled wings - again a nice fit, just a bit of thinning of edges needed.
dry fit wings 01.jpg

So far, no fit problems, and looking ahead, I don't anticipate any
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Rapidly onto priming.................
primed 01.jpgprimed 02.jpg

I must recommend Ultimate Primer - it sprays well, and the grey gives a good neutral base for any subsequent colours. I did add some more weight, now there's no way it's going to be a tail sitter.
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fast work dave , its ready for the paint already ! , looks a nice straightforward kit , and an aircraft seldom seen , always in the shadow of its prettier sister the sabre.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tony,
I'm developing quite an interest in that period of jet aviation, been looking around for 1/48 models. There are some areas where a modern model is really missing, for example Supermarine Scimitar, Northrop F-89 Scorpion, Grumman F11F Tiger & Vought F7U Cutlass. There are ancient, and out of production models, but state of the art? Not much!
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good mate, and such a quick build .
John .

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Tony,
I'm developing quite an interest in that period of jet aviation, been looking around for 1/48 models. There are some areas where a modern model is really missing, for example Supermarine Scimitar, Northrop F-89 Scorpion, Grumman F11F Tiger & Vought F7U Cutlass. There are ancient, and out of production models, but state of the art? Not much!
Dave
I love this era of jets too dave , both sides of the iron curtain! Im sure i read that hobby boss or somebody was doing a scimitar in 1/48? Of the others the revell scorpion in 1/48 is supposed to be a nice kit but no one has done a decent f11f or cutlass in 1/48 yet. Ive been slowly building the century series jets by monogram in 1/48 , so far ive done the f100 and f101 , the f 102 will be started when i can get some correct decals for it ( case xx wing and all that malarkey) and ive got the f104, f105 and f 106 in the stash waiting too!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've seen the Revell 1/48 Scorpion go for REALLY silly money ( for a 1990 model, no matter how many box & decal changes ). Paying large amounts for old tooling models would spoil my enjoyment, that's part of the buzz! A F-100, or a F-104 might go onto my mental wish list, but the Voodoo, Delta Dagger & Dart don't appeal for some reason
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
How about the thunderchief dave , in 1/48 its a big impressive beastie and the monogram/ revell kit can be found quite cheaply now and again , or their f84f thunderstreak is a cracker too , tony

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, I'm keeping my eyes open for many models ( at a price that I like! ), but my stash still has a few models patiently waiting in line. I have a HobbyBoss F-105, and a real beauty, a HB F3H Demon. Also lurking are the Tamiya Skyray, and from the other side of the curtain, a Su-9, and a Su-22, both in the Smer boxing. I'm not exactly deficient in models to make, but given the right price, who can say what may appear in the collection!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Loving the look of this one. I find the early Cold War jets to be much more interesting than the later stuff....I’ll keep an eye out for you next few builds...
Cheers
Tim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The underside, and wheel wells etc are all white. I always have problems with spraying this, and today was no exception! Nozzle Blocking, Splatter etc. I had to add some retarder, and more water than normal ( maybe the high temp? ). A few thin coats, and it looks OK
white undersidw.jpg
Topside, the control surfaces have also been sprayed white, ready for masking. I used Vallejo ModelAir White for the underside. I will use Mission Models Light Gull Grey for the upper surfaces, a new maker to me. I have read good reviews on this, so I will see...........
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I forgot to take pictures of the masking! The Mission Paints Gull grey sprayed OK, but didn't cover very well - I don't think that it has any advantage over any other paint that I've used.
gull grey 01.jpggull grey 02.jpg
The masking still lifted the base white coat in a few places, despite using a low tack tape - maybe I should have let the base dry for a few days, to really harden off. Next stage will be an overall gloss varnish, before decalling and a few panel washes. There won't be any weathering, USN jets of this period were always immaculate
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After an overall gloss varnish coat, I masked and painted the leading edges of the wings/tail aluminium - then onto decalling
part decal.jpg
The decals are quite thick, and the top wing star is in 3 pieces, one either side of the wingfold, and one over the top of the wing fence - which I haven't been able to get to sit down ( yet ). When I've finished the decals, I'm going to seal everything in with a Satin varnish coat
Dave