Dave Ward's 1/48 HB FJ-4 Fury

T

TonyBv9

Nice. A plane that I have to confess I hadn't heard of. Then to cap it all, War Thunder (favourite video game) are introducing the FJ-4 as well.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The rapid development of jets produced some short lived aircraft - I'm still waiting for a modern 1/48 version of thisf7u-3m_cutlass_launches_from_intrepid_cv11_1954.jpg
By all accounts a poor aircraft - the Vought F7U Cutlass, but what a looker!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Decals completed - the nose decals aren't particularly a good fit, and I will have to try and match the paint to touch up. Next is a satin varnish coat & final assembly.............fully decalled 01.jpgfully decalled 02.jpg

At this stage, my mind has turned to what to build next............ I'm going to go for a tank
hb vickers medium mk i.jpg
Looks very nice, apart from the tracks - 2 part individual little links -130 of them!
I'll be starting this, on completion of the Fury
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Luckily I found a good match to the blue on the nose, Vallejo Ultramarine. Undercarriage on, air brakes added. Just a few more details, like lights, undercarriage doors and the underwing stores.
nearly 01.jpgnearly 02.jpg

For some reason, the cockpit canopy won't sit down properly - I'll have to sort that. I think the next pics will be in the 'completed' section!
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice! Looking forward to the completed pics , cheers tony

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I came to fit the undercarriage doors................HB will have you fit them all open. I thought that they looked so vulnerable to damage on carrier operations. I went on YouTube and found a video that shows that the doors were all closed on the ground, engine running. I assume that engine stopped, the hydraulic pressure bleeds off gradually, and the doors will gradually drop open ( like the P-51 Mustang, another North American product! ). Anyway, easier to fit them closed!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nearly didn't finish this - I broke the pitot tube off no less than 4 times during the final stages - BP rose, and it nearly had a test flight into the bin. Half an hour and a nice latte later, the pictures are now in the 'completed' section.
Many thanks for dropping by, the likes and the comments!
Dave