Dave Ward's 1/48 Revell/ICM Mig-25 RBT Foxbat 'B'

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As my Zvezda MSTA-S is fast approaching a finish, I'm gearing up for this big single-seater
revell foxbat b.jpg
The model sprues are crisp, totally free of flash, and look well detailed. ICM models are usually well engineered, and with well fitting parts.
I'm not doing this quite OOB, as I have a Aerobonus pilot and seat to furnish the cockpitmig-25 pilot 01.jpg
I actually assembled him, tonight & primed him...................mig-25 pilot.jpg
I've left off the visor for painting, and I might just add the rudder pedals to his feet, so things line up.
I've been wanting to get this on the bench for quite a while, I've read various reviews, and the majority are favourable ( OK, no PE, flattened tyres - but I can live with that! ). I do have some ICM Russian runway slabs, so a base might materialise......
Construction will start shortly
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking forward to seeing this big beast Dave! Ive heard a lot of good things about this too ,cheers tony

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Just a few detail shots........................
All recessed detail, top & bottom fuselage
detail 05.jpgdetail 06.jpg
Detail in the wheel wells
detail 04.jpg
Wing, with separate ailerons & flaps
detail 03.jpg
The front fuselage is in multi parts - careful seam lines will be the order of the day
detail 02.jpg
The underbelly fuel tank ( I wouldn't call it a drop tank ) is LARGE
detail 01.jpg

For such a large model, it's comparatively simple, not that many parts really. ICM models usually are well engineered, and parts fit well, so looking forward to this
Construction will start shortly
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Construction started - nothing exciting, there a fair few parts that are in halves - nose, wings, tail, wheels, engine intakes, burner tubes - all very mundane, but need doing before I can proceed.
Pilot in the process of being painted - I'm not a figure painter, and a fair bit of tweaking & retouching will be needed before Ivan is ready to take his place...
P1050401.JPGOh dear, he looks bad in close up! :disappointed2:
Dave

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks a very nice kit Dave, I'm sure once Ivan is sat in the tub he'll look just fine and dandy.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave .
Why oh why we worry about these photos taken at zero distance, when the completed build will be seen from at least 18 in, but we do.:smiling2:
More important is did you get it for a good price !
John.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
John,
you're quite right! Anyway, the pilot sits deep in the cockpit, and the small canopy has rather heavy framing..................
I think that I bought the pilot, as an add on to another order ( flat rate postage! ), so I did get it at a good price.
Dave

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Construction well under way the fuselage is essentially a 4 sided box - it's big! The u/c bays are added, and the inlet trunking for the two massive engines, and a former for the rear fuselage
lower f 01.jpglower f 02.jpglower f 03.jpg
The wings and tails - the sprue ingates are nicely spaced, and not oversized - easily cleaned upwings & tails.jpg
Forward fuselage and the camera nose
forward fuselage.jpg
The huge belly tank and engine tubes
tank & engines.jpg
There are afterburner rings in the engines........................
afterburners.jpg
Whether you will see them or not, I'll have to wait & see.
So far, the fit of the parts has been very good, and the instructions are clear. I'll have to make good a few seams ( like the belly tank ), and start priming the internals, but the way this has gone together, it may be quite a quick build!
Dave

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice start Dave, looking forward to see it coming together.
Very nice panel lines and riverts, will be great looking in the weathering stage me thinks.:thumb2:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've primed the wheelwells & sprayed them aluminium, the same for the air intakes ( though they will be invisible ) Sides of the fuselage added, it would be an advantage to have been an octopus, to hold these when drying!
lower f 04.jpglower f 05.jpg
Cockpit painted in the turquoise favoured by Russian flyers, and instrument panel decals added
cockpit decals.jpg
The decals will snug down overnight, and I'll seal all with varnish before assembling. The instructions give a nose weight of 25g, but there's enough room in the nose for many times that, in ball bearings
Dave

K

Kitbasher

That looks great, can't wait for the next update, looking at the belly tank this could be a huge model

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Fuselage boxed in, and tails added the fit was again very good, I might need a smear of filler on the on the lower cockpit/fuselage join, but that is all.....................did I mention that this is big?
Wings & camera nose dry fitted
dry fit bits.jpg
At times like this, it makes you glad to have an airbrush. Using a hairy stick on something this big would take a long time, and getting an even finish would be a real trial. I'm going to leave the fuselage to really dry overnight, before fixing the wings, as the joint line on the 'shoulder' really needs to be secure - I might add some drops of CA to really make it tight
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The instructions indicate 25g of weight as ballast. Instead of my normal load of ball bearings, I used 9 X 1p coins ( best use I have made of these! ) I rolled them in silver foil, and fastened into the nose with 5-Minute epoxyballast.jpg

Undercarriage legs assembled, and painted, I'll leave these off until I've painted & masked the exterior.
u-c legs.jpg
Wheels - the 2 main wheels are the largest I've ever fitted to an aircraft!
wheels.jpg

I'm going to have a think about the masking, there are 3 main colours - grey, aluminium, and gunmetal, and the order in which I do them needs consideration................
Dave

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Looking very nice Dave, like the office a lot.:thumb2:
Good luck with the final assembly and paint work.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Wings and nose finally added, the nose joint needs a bit of filler to blend in nicely. The elevators will be left off at the moment - they'll get in the way of the painting.topside assy.jpg
The model is a little too big for taking decent pictures on the work bench! I'll have to clear stuff away to get final pictures!
I sprayed the rear underside & sides with Vallejo Metal Color Aluminiumunderside ally.jpg

I hope that masking over the ally paint will be OK. Dielectric panels painted dark grey, ready to be masked.
That BIG fuel tank, also sprayed with Vallejo Aluminium
fuel tank.jpg
Now that the nose & wings have been added, you can appreciate what a big brute of an aircraft this really is
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I spent most of the morning carefully masking the aluminium panels etc, and stuffing paper tissues into the engine inlets & exhausts & wheelbays. I primed overall, then painted the anti glare panel black. I did a partial spray of the upper surfaces, to see how the paint covers
top first coats.jpg
I'm using Vallejo Model Air 339 - Russian AF grey No.3 - it's one of those paints that has a big tone change as it dries. Next will be masking the anti-glare panel & completing the grey basecoat.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Basecoat applied, and all the masking removed. A little bit of bleeding, and paint has lifted in a few places, so touch up will be needed, otherwise, not bad.
basecoat 01.jpgbasecoat 02.jpg
Next up will be the gunmetal section at the rear of the fuselage. Note: The grey on the tail fins IS asymmetrical! Getting towards a finish, not many bits left in the box..............
Dave