Dave Ward's 1/48 Revell/ICM Mig-25 RBT Foxbat 'B'

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I decided to assemble the exhaust 'petals' - the inner petals onto the aircraft, and the outer petals to the final fuselage piece.......................
nozzle 01.jpg
This was to allow me to airbrush the nozzles - WRONG
I tried to dry fit the outer petal assembly over the inner petals - not a chance. I had to remove the carefully fitted inner petals, then re-attach them after assembling the outers to the airframe - it just goes to show that the instructions are sometimes in that sequence for a reason
nozzle 02.jpg
Onto tricky masking for the gunmetal rear fuselage section............
Dave

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice job Dave. Great inspiration for my little build.

John

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gunmetal sprayed, and masking removed. The Vallejo Gunmetal Grey was not very good to spray, it seemed to cover poorly, and when I peeled the masking off, the gunmetal had crept under! - so more touching up will be needed - so much for my careful masking
gunmetal 01.jpggunmetal 02.jpg
When all the touching up is completed, I'll seal all in with a coat of varnish, then there are a lot of decals to add..................
Dave

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Gunmetal sprayed, and masking removed. The Vallejo Gunmetal Grey was not very good to spray, it seemed to cover poorly, and when I peeled the masking off, the gunmetal had crept under! - so more touching up will be needed - so much for my careful masking
View attachment 314532View attachment 314533
When all the touching up is completed, I'll seal all in with a coat of varnish, then there are a lot of decals to add..................
Dave
Hi Dave after masking I usually spray the same colour again over the masking tape, so if there is a small gap the paint will fill it. That usually stops any bleed of whatever colour your using next.
Nice work so far by the way.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
All sealed in with gloss varnish - rather than masking the rear of the fuselage, I used Bare-Metal Foil for the section in front of the petals
rear ring.jpg
Canopy painted - no masking, just holding my breath......... ( needs a little touch up )canopy.jpg
I decided to do the panel washes before adding the decals, here's the wing underside without a washno wash.jpg
And with a light panel wash..............
wing wash.jpg
I find it best to do smallish sections, then remove excess wash with kitchen towel, wait too long, and it can take a bit of effort to clean off, too early, and you can wipe it clean out of the panel lines.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Rapidly approaching the finish line, a few major decals added to get the positions right - nearly 01.jpgnearly 02.jpg

The canopies are still loose, so I can give a satin overspray to seal the decals. I'm not sure about how much weathering to go for - the majority of photos show pristine examples, or really sad looking museum exhibits!
Dave

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice paint job Dave, think the weathering is ok for a high speed recon plane.:thumb2:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As I approach a finish on this monster, I've decided on my next build, for the Forum GB: Wheeled Military Lorryicm krupp.jpg
I've made a fair few of the ICM trucks, and enjoyed them. They're not 'shake the box' builds, and can be quite challenging.
Construction will start on completion of the Foxbat
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Undercarriage and wheels finally added.............................wheels added.jpgon wheels.jpg
The reason for the Mig-25 RBT - camera ports in the nose ( awaiting clear parts ) The grey panels were made by painting clear decal sheet, rather than trying to hand paint/mask

camera ports.jpg
Undercarriage doors to add ( & those camera ports ) before a final coat of satin varnish. There are still a number of aerials & sensors to add - very fragile!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Phew! Finally finished! Pictures in the completed aircraft section.
Thanks for looking in..............
Dave