Dave W's 1/24 Spitfire Vb

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Funny, I could never get on with the green. Might have had an iffy one. It was very grainy and dried quicker than I could get it where I wanted it! Milliput I find is great. Sets hard yes but great for larger gaps and I like the fact that it can be cleaned up and smoothed over with water. Also good if you need to drill holes in.
Some good work going into your build Dave. Maybe we should have a bravery gong thing...

Ian M
I think it should be a persistence gong rather than a bravery gong Ian.I find it helps to have two models on the go at the same time.So when I get fed up with one I work on the other.I find this sort of work easy but time consuming.Its the painting I'm worried about.I can do a nice factory fresh paint job.But I want a war weary look to this one.Im bound to make a mess of it.Wont stop me having a go though.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 102561

This stuff probably makes boring reading.But I've finally finished filling in and rescribing panel lines on the wings.Some panels are for the mk1.But Airfix don't tell you that.Im using the new Airfix 1/48 mk5 in my stash as a reference.image.jpg

First Name
Dave
Done a bit more tonight.Superglued the fairing section of the metal cannons to the wings.I also glued the gun sight on and dipped the canopy parts in Kleer.Tomorrow I will glue the windscreen on and mask it.I still need to make some wing tip Nav lights then finally I will be able to start painting this thing.The barrel section of the cannons need to be painted black before I glue them on. I've heard of a product called 'Black it' that railway modellers use to turn brass black.I thinking it might give a more realistic finish than paint.Will see if my LHS has got some in.

View attachment 102900

View attachment 102901

image.jpg

image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Those cannons look the part Dave, nice work. That black stuff sounds interesting.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 103176

I got some paint on the model tonight.Sprayed interior green on the canopy frames.Then I sprayed Alclad grey primer on.Will paint over the cockpit area tomorrow.Ive also started to paint the engine exhausts as Francesco suggested.Should have them finished tomorrow and will post a photo of the results.image.jpg

First Name
Dave
View attachment 103177

Here's my attempt at painting the exhausts.Not as good as Francesco's but better than my usual attempts.I took his advice and painted them red/brown first.Then dry brushed them with Matt black followed by graphite dust (pencil lead).Finally I dry brushed them with white.image.jpg

Z

Ziper_it

Actually I think they came out better than mine.

The white should represent oxydation from the lead in the fuel (or something like this), so it should be visible mainly on the second and third element of the exhaust)

Francesco

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Dave

Got a bit of catching up to do with a lot of really great threads and I've just reacquainted myself with your MkV.

Superb work - love the dihedral solve and the general details and scratch build. When I see your build pics I can actually feel that rather soft but familiar Airfix plastic in my hands.

You're doing a fabulous job of bringing the best out of this older kit and the final result doesn't seem to be too far away now.

Looking forward to the next instalment and maybe some paint.

Great stuff

Paul

First Name
Dave
I've finished priming the model and found a couple of areas that needed a bit more filler.The prop and spinner had a few sink marks that needed filling.Then I remembered the yellow leading edges.So I sprayed some Alclad White primer on followed by two coats of Xtracolour trainer yellow.I also did the fuselage sky band and prop spinner with Xtracolour Sky.I will leave the model for a few days for the paint to harden before masking then spraying the undersides Medium Sea Grey.

View attachment 103351

View attachment 103352

View attachment 103353

View attachment 103354

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yeah paint. Looking good Dave. The exhaust stacks look lovely

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry wronge button!

Once this is painted she'll look very nice. You are winner the fight with this old bird, hands down.

Ian M

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
She really is coming on well dave since I last had a chance to look. You are putting a lot of extra work into her but it looks to be worth it. A great job.

First Name
Dave
I've painted the underside colour of medium sea grey and put a coat of ocean grey on the upper surfaces.Ive been reading Barry W's tutorial on weathering and have decided to give it a go.So the next stage is to mix 20% white with ocean grey and spray some in the centre of some panels.Then when that's dry going over it all with a mist coat of thinned ocean grey.Thats the plan anyway.Ive also assembled the cannon barrels and sprayed them black after priming with Alclad grey primer.

View attachment 103941

View attachment 103942

View attachment 103943

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
o the next stage is to mix 20% white with ocean grey and spray some in the centre of some panels.Then when that's dry going over it all with a mist coat of thinned ocean grey.
A slight variation. Add some white to your Ocean Grey and spray a few panels, add a bit more white and spray some more, then repeat the process (lightening the grey each time) as often as you fancy. This will give much more variety to your post shading. If you later decide that you've gone too far the misting of the original base colour will mitigate this. You just have to go by eye and what looks right to you!

You can do the same for the underside Medium Sea Grey and the upper Dark Green, though for the latter you might try adding a little yellow rather than white.

BTW you've really beat that kit into shape. I remember building one many years ago and it was a bit of a dog. Looking forward to seeing the camouflage on.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
View attachment 104133

Here's my first ever go at a faded paint finish.I mixed some white with ocean grey and sprayed it in the centre of some panels.I started on the port wing And finished up on the other wing.As you can see I started off spraying it on a bit heavy until I got the hang of it.Im quite pleased with most of the model.Tomorrow I will spray a very diluted ocean grey over it to tone it down.Which should sort out the Port wing and fuselage.image.jpg